Chemists, I NEED HELP WITH ALCOGELS

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
In summary, the alcogel preparation was not successful. The solution either remained un-changed or it solidified quickly and crumbled.
alex caps
I was trying to make some alcogels and either the solution remained un-changed or it solidified quickly and crumpled. I was not able to make the gel. Any ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, http://eande.lbl.gov/ECS/aerogels/saprep.htm [Broken] mentions something about alcogels.
Alcogel (wet gel):
At the gel point, the mixture forms a rigid substance called an alcogel. The alcogel can be removed from its original container and can stand on its own. An alcogel consists of two parts, a solid part and a liquid part. The solid part is formed by the three-dimensional network of linked oxide particles. The liquid part (the original solvent of the Sol) fills the free space surrounding the solid part. The liquid and solid parts of an alcogel occupy the same apparent volume.

Edit: I have googled "alcogel preparation" and found about 250 results. These will give you a hint about your problem, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am taking sodium silicate and mixing with distiled water (I have tried just about every combination of the two.) I then stur thoroughly until it is clear and add a drop of acid as a catalyst. The top of the solution immediately harders a little, but then it either disappears or just doesn't go any further.. Any ideas.

This involves the following reaction:

[tex]Na_2SiO_3 + H_2O \longrightarrow H_2SiO_3 \downarrow+ 2NaOH[/tex]

As you see, the reaction refuses to go to the right side; dissolved sodium silicate needs a very long time to be converted to silicate acid and you must do something to consume the sodium hydroxide produced. I had added concentrated hydrochloric acid dropwise in the presence of a suitable acid indicator (phenolphthalein is the best one here) to show the gelation to the students in my previous T.A. years (sigh). The reaction had very rapidly processed the gel, and I had turned the test tube upside-down to show the formation.

Maybe this observation of mine may help you.

It seems to be the same thing I did. I took sodium silicate and mixed it with water, then added a drop of acid as a catalyst..

I tried diluting and also using the acid pure, I tried with more water than silicate and vice versa. I don't know what went wrong, I am going to try again sometime soon..

More acid is needed for gelation. Don't add it as a drop; add until it 'solidifies'.

chem_tr said:
More acid is needed for gelation. Don't add it as a drop; add until it 'solidifies'.

Well when I add too much acid it solidifies too quickly and crumbles, I think the bonds are too weak to hold it together when I add too much acid..

Maybe stirring is bad for these... I don't remember vigorous stirring conditions in this kind of gelation. So this may be the reason of your observed crumbling. Add the concentrated acid dropwise until you see the gelation. This must work.

chem_tr said:
Maybe stirring is bad for these... I don't remember vigorous stirring conditions in this kind of gelation. So this may be the reason of your observed crumbling. Add the concentrated acid dropwise until you see the gelation. This must work.

Well I stir just the water and silicon dioxide so they become one substance, when I add the acid I don't stir because it aggitates the molecules and makes it impossible for bonds to form..

1. What are alcohols and gels?

Alcohols are chemical compounds that contain a hydroxyl group (-OH). Gels are substances that have a jelly-like consistency and can be made from various materials, including polymers and solvents.

2. How are alcohols and gels related?

Alcohols can be used to make gels, as they can act as solvents and dissolve other substances to create a gel-like consistency. In the case of hand sanitizers, alcohol is the main active ingredient that helps to kill germs and bacteria.

3. What is an alcogel?

An alcogel is a type of gel that is made from alcohol as the main ingredient. It is commonly used as a hand sanitizer or disinfectant for surfaces.

4. How do alcogels work?

Alcogels work by killing microorganisms, such as bacteria and viruses, through the denaturing of their proteins. The alcohol in the alcogel disrupts the cell membrane of the microorganism, causing it to die.

5. Are alcogels effective against all types of germs?

Alcogels are most effective against bacteria and some viruses. However, they may not be as effective against certain types of viruses, such as norovirus, that have a protective coating. It is important to use alcogels with at least 60% alcohol content to ensure effectiveness.