RLC circuit, need some help with the intuition behind inductors.

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving an inductor and a switch. The initial question is about the reading of the V2 voltmeter, which according to the answer key, should be 0 volts. The person asking the question is confused because they expected a negative reading due to the induced emf and current of the inductor. The conversation then shifts to discussing the behavior of the circuit after the switch is closed, with the person asking for clarification and expressing their own thoughts on the matter. The final question asks for the readings of the other meters and an explanation for each answer.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

I attached a picture of a sample problem that I was confused about. What I don't understand is why the V2 voltmeter would read 0 volts (according to the answer key). This is because I thought that an inductor produces an induced emf and current. So wouldn't the voltmeter read a negative value instead of zero?

Edit: immediately after the switch is closed.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are they asking about when the switch is off?

Rayquesto said:
Are they asking about when the switch is off?

Oops, immediately after the switch is closed.

I am very weak at circuits and I wish my physics II teacher could gives us better insight to this stuff, however, here is a thought: Initial charge goes from high potential, but when it hits the inductor, the induced current is supposed to oppose it right? So, it never actually gets through that part of the circuit and so the voltage does read anything it goes through it right? I mean, can you back me up on this one if you feel this is completely wrong?

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

I attached a picture of a sample problem that I was confused about. What I don't understand is why the V2 voltmeter would read 0 volts (according to the answer key). This is because I thought that an inductor produces an induced emf and current. So wouldn't the voltmeter read a negative value instead of zero?

Edit: immediately after the switch is closed.
The voltmeter will not read negative.

What are your answers for the other meters after the switch is closed? Explain your reasoning behind each answer.

1. What is an RLC circuit and how does it work?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. These components are connected in series or parallel and interact with each other to control the flow of electric current. The resistor regulates the current, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. Together, they create a complex system that can produce oscillations and filter out specific frequencies.

2. What is the purpose of an inductor in an RLC circuit?

The inductor in an RLC circuit is used to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. When current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field around the component. This field resists changes in the current, which is why inductors are often referred to as "flywheels" in circuits. Inductors are especially useful in RLC circuits for creating oscillations and filtering out specific frequencies.

3. How does an inductor affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

An inductor affects the behavior of an RLC circuit by regulating the flow of current. When the current in the circuit changes, the inductor creates a back EMF (electromotive force) that opposes the change. This causes the current to decrease or increase gradually, depending on the direction of the change. Additionally, the inductor also stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, which can be released later to maintain the current flow.

4. Why is it necessary to include an inductor in an RLC circuit?

In an RLC circuit, the inductor serves several important purposes. Firstly, it helps to regulate the flow of current and maintain a steady current level. Secondly, it can store energy in the form of a magnetic field, which can be used to maintain the current flow in the event of a sudden change. Finally, the inductor can create oscillations and filter out specific frequencies, making it a crucial component for certain types of circuits.

5. How can I better understand the intuition behind inductors in RLC circuits?

The best way to understand the intuition behind inductors in RLC circuits is to visualize the flow of current and the behavior of the magnetic field. You can also experiment with different circuit configurations and observe how the inductor affects the overall behavior. Additionally, studying the mathematical equations that govern the behavior of inductors in RLC circuits can also help to deepen your understanding of their intuition.