Finding Solutions to Complex Linear Systems

In summary, to find the solution to the given linear system of equations, it is suggested to multiply the first equation by 3/2*(1+i) and then subtract the first equation from the second one. This will result in a simplified equation to solve for w. The complex numbers should not be intimidating as the problem can be solved using the same methods as with real numbers. Dividing through by the leading coefficient, (1-i), can help simplify the problem.
Find the solution in C to the following linear system of equations.

(a) (1-i)z + 4w = 2 + 8i
(b) 3z + (1+i)w = 1 + 5i

I tried expanding but that didn't get me anywhere. Then i put it in a matrix, but i didn't know how to go from there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.Multiply your first equation with 3/2*(1+i)
You should then have 3z in both equations.
2. Then subtract the first from the second and solve for w.
3) Don't bother to expand brackets until you've solved for w and z

Don't be intimidated by the complex numbers. You would solve this problem exactly as you would if there were only real numbers involved.

For instance, in the first equation, the coefficient on z is simply the (single!) number (1 - i). So, if when solving systems of equations, you like to divide through by the leading coefficient, then you would do so, by dividing through by (1 - i).

thanks guys...i think i got it...

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that contain two or more variables. The goal is to find values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

How do you solve a system of linear equations?

One way to solve a system of linear equations is by using the elimination method. This involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one of the variables, then solving for the remaining variable. Another method is substitution, where one equation is solved for one variable and then substituted into the other equation to solve for the remaining variable.

Can a system of linear equations have no solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have no solution. This means that there is no set of values for the variables that satisfies all of the equations in the system. This occurs when the lines represented by the equations are parallel and do not intersect.

Can a system of linear equations have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have an infinite number of solutions. This occurs when the lines represented by the equations are the same and intersect at every point. In this case, any set of values for the variables will satisfy the system.

What is the importance of systems of linear equations in science?

Systems of linear equations are important in science because they can be used to model and solve real-world problems. Many physical phenomena can be described using linear equations, and solving these systems can provide valuable insights and predictions. Additionally, linear systems often arise in scientific data analysis and can be used to find patterns and relationships in the data.