Semi Latus Rectum Proof - b^2/a

• Thread starter sportsguy3675
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to prove that the length of the semi latus rectum of an ellipse is equal to b^2/a, one can draw a triangle within the ellipse and use the equation \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 to find the coordinates of the semi latus rectum. By substituting in the value of x=ae (the distance from the origin to a focus) and solving for y, the length of the semi latus rectum can be expressed in terms of b. By using the relationship between a, b, and e (the eccentricity of the ellipse), one can further simplify the equation to prove that the length of the
sportsguy3675
I need to prove that the length of the semi latus rectum = [tex]b^2/a[/tex]

I am assuming that you make some sort of a triangle within the ellipse to prove this, can someone point out which one it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
:confused: Why has no one responded? Doesn't anyone know how to do this?

sportsguy3675 said:
I need to prove that the length of the semi latus rectum = [tex]b^2/a[/tex]

I am assuming that you make some sort of a triangle within the ellipse to prove this, can someone point out which one it is?
The equation for an ellipse relation is:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

If you draw the ellipse with a string fixed at each foci, the length of the string is the major axis, 2a. The minor axis (x=0) is 2b. The ratio of the distance between the two foci to the length of the major axis is e, the eccentricity of the ellipse. So the distance between the two foci is 2ae which means that the foci are located at x=ae and x=-ae.

Now the semi-latus rectum is the line perpendicular to the major axis through one of the foci, to the ellipse. This is just the line: x=ae or x=-ae. The intersection of the line x=ae with the equation for the ellipse defines the coordinates of the end point of the semi-latus rectum. The y coordinate is, therefore its length.

So plug in the value x=ae for the ellipse relation and solve for y. That will give you l in terms of b. Then see if you can work it out from the relationships between a, b and e.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
So plug in the value x=ae for the ellipse relation and solve for y. That will give you l in terms of b.

So I just do:
[tex]\frac{(ae)^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

But what I don't get is what happens to y if you said to solve for y, but the answer is in terms of b? :confused:

sportsguy3675 said:
So I just do:

But what I don't get is what happens to y if you said to solve for y, but the answer is in terms of b? :confused:
y is l.

(1)[tex]y^2 = l^2 = b^2(1-e^2)[/tex].

Use the Pythgorean relationship between b, the semi-major axis, and ae (the distance from the origin to a focus): [itex](ae)^2+b^2 = a^2[/itex] (recall that a is 1/2 the length of the string which in this triangle is the hypotenuse with sides b and ae). Thus [itex]b^2 = a^2(1-e^2)[/itex] so [itex]1-e^2 = b^2/a^2[/itex].

Substituting [itex]1-e^2 = b^2/a^2[/itex] into (1) gives you:

[tex]l = \frac{b^2}{a}[/tex]

AM

Ok, I'll just write out my whole proof here because I like the equations better than my handwriting.

[tex]e = \frac{c}{a}[/tex]

so [tex]c = ae[/tex]

The line of the Semi Latus Rectum is [tex]x = \pm ae[/tex].
So you plug this in for x in the equation:

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^2e^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

[tex]e^2 + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 - e^2[/tex]

(1) [tex]y^2 = l^2 = b^2(1-e^2)[/tex]

Plug [tex]c = ae[/tex] into [tex]a^2 - b^2 = c^2[/tex]

[tex]c^2 + b^2 = a^2[/tex]

[tex](ae)^2 + b^2 = a^2[/tex]

[tex]b^2 = a^2 - (ae)^2[/tex]

[tex]b^2 = a^2(1 - e^2)[/tex]

[tex]1 - e^2 = \frac{b^2}{a^2}[/tex]

Plug back into (1).

[tex]l^2 = b^2(\frac{b^2}{a^2})[/tex]

[tex]l^2 = (\frac{b^4}{a^2})[/tex]

[tex]l = \frac{b^2}{a}[/tex]

Thanks for the help Andrew! :smile:

Last edited:

What is the definition of Semi Latus Rectum Proof?

Semi Latus Rectum Proof is a mathematical concept used in the study of conic sections, specifically in the study of ellipses. It is represented by the equation b^2/a, where b is the semi-minor axis and a is the semi-major axis of the ellipse.

How is Semi Latus Rectum Proof used in science?

Semi Latus Rectum Proof is used in science to calculate the relationship between the semi-major and semi-minor axes of an ellipse. This information is important in understanding the shape and size of ellipses, which are commonly found in nature and have many applications in physics and astronomy.

Can Semi Latus Rectum Proof be applied to other shapes besides ellipses?

No, Semi Latus Rectum Proof is specific to ellipses and cannot be applied to other shapes. It is a unique concept that is only applicable to the study of conic sections.

What does the value of Semi Latus Rectum Proof tell us about an ellipse?

The value of Semi Latus Rectum Proof can tell us about the eccentricity of an ellipse. A higher value indicates a more elongated or "flatter" ellipse, while a lower value indicates a more circular ellipse.

How is Semi Latus Rectum Proof related to the focus of an ellipse?

Semi Latus Rectum Proof is indirectly related to the focus of an ellipse. The focus is one of the two points that determine the shape of an ellipse, and the value of Semi Latus Rectum Proof can help calculate the position of the focus in relation to the center of the ellipse.