Calculating Fill Time for Pressure Vessels: Inlet Parameters & Mass Flow Rate

In summary, the pressure vessel must fill within 30 seconds at a pressure of 420 psig, so a DE is not necessary.
Juanka
I am needing to calculate the fill time of a pressure vessel. I know the following parameters regarding the vessel:

Volume, Temperature, Properties of the fluid media, inlet pipe diameter, flow rate of the inlet, pressure of the inlet.

I tried calculating the mass flow rate of the inlet then dividing the capacity of the tank (lbm) by the mass flow to find a time of fill. However, this number was extremely small (unrealistically small).

I know as the vessel fills the fill rate is going to go down until S.S. is finally reached. However do I have to implement a D.E. to calculate the time for the vessel to fill?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this a gas or a liquid.

Air at 520R

So does your calc take into consideration the effects of compression? i.e. inlet pressure differential between empty tank and tank at desired pressure.
Air will expand to "fill" the tank really quickly. But it will take longer to get the tank up to the desired pressure.

Yes, I am assuming my vessel pressure to be 0 psig while inlet pressure to be 420 psig.

Yet that obviously isn't true the instant any air enters the tank.

As I said, the gas will expand to fill the tank. The "fill" time is extremely short. The time it takes to fill to the desired pressure is another story, and your initial assumption does not hold.

I am needing to calculate the time required to pressurize the vessel to the inlet pressure of 420 psig. I am working on a DE at the moment however I do not seem to be making much progress. Is it possible to solve this without a DE? (I am thinking it is not).

Not that I am aware of. The driving force behind the flow rate will be the pressure differential (for most compressors) thus the fill rate will decrease differentially as the pressure rises in the tank.

I have attached a screenshot of my work described in Mathcad. I would like it if someone could verify whether the calculation is valid or not. (As cited before I believe it is not, I just want an outside opinion).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 807
Though, if it is a screw compressure with positive displacement, then you can treat your mass flow as constant, unless I'm mistaken...

The mass flow inlet can be assumed constant, the inlet to this vessel occupies <5% of the capacities of the compressors supplying the flow. However, I know it takes much longer than the 30 seconds to fill this vessel, for that reason I know there is an error and I am trying to work out a DE to find a solution I just wanted to rule out the non Diff-Eq method before proceeding.

Oh, I see one mistake, your flow is in SCFM and that should not be used to determine the fill time of your tank. Either you must determine the actual fill volume of your tank (a 6000 ft3 tank holds quite a bit more volume at 380 psig than it does at 1 atm), and divide by the SCFM flowrate to estimate your fill time, or you must determine the ACFM and use the geometric tank volume (6000 gt3).

Good catch, this looks more like it.

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,037

1. What is the purpose of calculating fill time for pressure vessels?

The purpose of calculating fill time for pressure vessels is to determine the amount of time it will take for the vessel to reach the desired pressure level when filling it with a certain mass flow rate. This information is important for ensuring safe and efficient operation of the pressure vessel.

2. How do you calculate the fill time for a pressure vessel?

The fill time for a pressure vessel can be calculated by dividing the vessel volume by the mass flow rate. This will give you the time it takes to fill the vessel to the desired pressure level. The formula is: Fill Time = Vessel Volume / Mass Flow Rate.

3. What are the inlet parameters that need to be considered when calculating fill time for pressure vessels?

The inlet parameters that need to be considered when calculating fill time for pressure vessels include the pressure and temperature of the gas being filled, the pressure and temperature of the gas already in the vessel, and the pressure and temperature of the environment surrounding the vessel. These parameters can affect the flow rate and therefore impact the fill time.

4. How does the mass flow rate impact the fill time for a pressure vessel?

The mass flow rate directly impacts the fill time for a pressure vessel. A higher mass flow rate will result in a shorter fill time, while a lower mass flow rate will result in a longer fill time. This is because a higher mass flow rate means more gas is being pumped into the vessel per unit of time, leading to a faster increase in pressure.

5. Are there any safety considerations when calculating fill time for pressure vessels?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when calculating fill time for pressure vessels. It is important to ensure that the vessel is able to safely withstand the pressure and temperature changes during filling. It is also crucial to monitor the fill time and pressure levels to prevent overfilling or exceeding the vessel's maximum pressure limit. Additionally, proper safety protocols should be followed when handling and filling pressure vessels to avoid any accidents or injuries.