Calculate number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators

It's similar to the ideal gas problem, but with a different number of dimensions. So, in summary, the total number of microstates for this system is given by (M+N-1)!/(M)!(N-1)!.
opaka

Homework Statement

Consider a system of N localized particles moving under the influence of a quantum, 1D, harmonic oscillator potential of frequency ω. The energy of the system is given by
E=(1/2)N[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω + M[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω

where M is the total number of quanta in the system.

compute the total number of microstates as a function of N and M.

Homework Equations

not sure. Maybe the volume of a 1N dimensional sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was simply (M+N-1)!/(M)!(N-1)!
but I was re reading the text, and was wondering if I should back up and use the procedure outlined for the ideal gas, but using the positive 1/8 of a 1N dimensional sphere rather than a 3N dimensional sphere. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
opaka said:

Homework Statement

Consider a system of N localized particles moving under the influence of a quantum, 1D, harmonic oscillator potential of frequency ω. The energy of the system is given by
E=(1/2)N[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω + M[itex]\hbar[/itex]ω

where M is the total number of quanta in the system.

compute the total number of microstates as a function of N and M.

Homework Equations

not sure. Maybe the volume of a 1N dimensional sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was simply (M+N-1)!/(M)!(N-1)!
but I was re reading the text, and was wondering if I should back up and use the procedure outlined for the ideal gas, but using the positive 1/8 of a 1N dimensional sphere rather than a 3N dimensional sphere. Any thoughts?

I think your first answer is the correct one. You are just trying to figure out how to put M indistinguishable objects into N distinguishable boxes.

1. What is the formula used to calculate the number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators?

The formula for calculating the number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators is given by: W = (n + q - 1)! / (n!(q - 1)!), where n is the number of particles and q is the number of energy levels.

2. How does the number of oscillators and energy levels affect the number of microstates?

The number of oscillators and energy levels directly impact the number of microstates. As the number of oscillators or energy levels increases, the number of microstates also increases. This is because each oscillator can have multiple energy levels, leading to a larger number of possible configurations.

3. Can the number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators be negative?

No, the number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators cannot be negative. The formula for calculating the number of microstates involves the factorial function, which always results in a positive integer.

4. How is the concept of entropy related to the number of microstates?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. The higher the number of microstates, the higher the entropy, as there are more possible configurations of the system. Therefore, the number of microstates is directly related to the entropy of a system.

5. Can the number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators change over time?

The number of microstates of n harmonic oscillators does not change over time. It is a fixed value that is determined by the number of oscillators and energy levels in the system. However, the distribution of particles among the energy levels can change over time, resulting in a different arrangement of microstates.