Does a Double Pulley System Double the Stretch Distance of a Spring?

• Thread starter tamtam402
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary, when using a double pulley system, the rope moves twice the distance of the load. In a system where the spring is replaced with a length of chain, the stretch distance of the spring would be half of the moved distance of the load. This can be visualized by comparing two pictures where the spring length is one meter and two meters, while keeping the rope length the same. This understanding can help with visualizing similar systems in the future.
tamtam402
I know in a double pulley system, the rope moves twice the distance of the load. What about a system such as this? Would the stretch distance of the spring be twice the moved distance of the load?

uTqlwvj.png

I'm having trouble visualizing these things.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tamtam402 said:
I'm having trouble visualizing these things.

Draw two pictures, one in which the spring is replaced with a length of chain one meter long and another in which the spring is replaced with a length of chain two meters long. Keep the length of the rope the same in the two pictures.

Compare them... You'll see the answer to your question pretty quickly, and forever after be better at visualizing these things.

Thanks. I think I see it now. Half of the "rope" (spring) length increase must be "used" to increase the length of the rope on the other side of the pulley. This other half of the length increase is not used to displace the system towards the bottom.

It follows that the load would indeed only see a y = <LengthIncrease>/2 movement towards the bottom. Sorry about the vocabulary used, I'm not a native english speaker.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs around the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force applied.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. When a force is applied to one end of the rope or belt, it creates tension that is transmitted to the other end. This causes the pulley to rotate, allowing the object to be lifted or moved.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and reduces the amount of force needed. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to provide both a change in direction and a reduction in force.

4. What are the advantages of using a pulley?

The main advantage of using a pulley is that it allows for the lifting or moving of heavy objects with less effort. It also provides a change in direction, making it easier to move objects in different directions. Additionally, pulleys are simple and inexpensive machines that can be easily constructed and used in various settings.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulleys?

Pulleys have many practical applications in everyday life. They are commonly used in construction and manufacturing to lift heavy objects. They are also used in elevators, cranes, and zip lines. In addition, pulleys can be found in exercise machines, window blinds, and even in some musical instruments.