Working on a blower which is directly coupled with motor

In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical engineer seeking help with shifting a blower from direct coupling with a motor to a belt drive in order to save power and avoid alignment issues. The design summary includes calculations for motor power, service factor, design power, motor and blower RPM, pulley sizes, belt length, center distance, and number of belts. The engineer is stuck on determining how much power will be saved and if a lower rated motor is needed for the belt drive. The person they are talking to mentions that the specific blower should have a performance curve, which can be obtained from the manufacturer if needed. The benefits of using a belt drive, such as no lubrication required, are also mentioned.
adilakbar
Hi everyone,

I am mechanical engineer by profession. I need little help from you guys.
I am working on a blower which is directly coupled with motor. Now I am plannig to shift it to Belt Drive.
Purpose behind doing this was that we need to save power and avoid alignment issues related to it.
I have done all calculation for it summary of it is below

Design Summary

Motor Power (hp) 121
Service Factor 1.3
Design Power (hp) 157
Motor rpm 1480
Required blower rpm 700
Speed Ratio 2.11
Motor Pulley Dia (in) 7.1
Blower Pulley Dia (in) 14.9
Belt Length (in) 95
Center Distance (in) 30.20
Number of belts 10

After doing all that calculation I am stuck in one thing how much power is saved by doing this and do we need to install lower rating motor in it when we shift to belt drive kindly help in this regard.
In simple words how much power is saved when motor rpm are reduced from 1480 to output rpm 700.

Regards
Adil Akbar

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends on your specific blower. It should have a curve.

BTW, the motor rpm is still 1480, the blower rpm is what is changing.

Can you explain which curve are you talking about. I don't have any curve of that blower.

The nice thing about belt drives is they require no lubrication. You can adjust pulley sizes to achieve the desired RPM. You lose a small amount of torque due to friction losses, but, not enough to be of concern. Driving a blower coupled directly to the motor shaft is generally frowned upon.

The fan manufacturer will have a performance curve for your specific model of blower. I'd contact the manufacturer if you don't have that info.

1. How does a direct-coupled blower and motor system work?

A direct-coupled blower and motor system is a type of mechanical power transmission where the motor and blower are connected without the use of a coupling or belt drive. The motor shaft is directly connected to the blower shaft, allowing the motor to drive the blower directly.

2. What are the advantages of a direct-coupled blower and motor system?

There are several advantages to using a direct-coupled blower and motor system. First, it eliminates the need for a coupling or belt drive, reducing maintenance and potential points of failure. It also allows for more precise control over the blower's speed and reduces energy loss due to friction. Additionally, it takes up less space and can be more cost-effective than other power transmission methods.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting a motor for a direct-coupled blower system?

When selecting a motor for a direct-coupled blower system, it is important to consider the power requirements of the blower, the speed and torque needed, and the environmental conditions the motor will be operating in. It is also important to ensure that the motor is compatible with the blower and that the shaft sizes and mounting arrangements are suitable for direct coupling.

4. How do you maintain a direct-coupled blower and motor system?

Maintenance for a direct-coupled blower and motor system is similar to other mechanical systems. Regularly inspecting and lubricating the bearings, checking for any misalignment or wear, and keeping the system clean can help prolong its lifespan. If any issues are identified, it is important to address them promptly to prevent further damage.

5. Can a direct-coupled blower and motor system be used in hazardous environments?

Yes, a direct-coupled blower and motor system can be used in hazardous environments, but it is important to select a motor that is rated for the specific hazardous conditions present. This may include explosion-proof or flameproof motors for areas with flammable gases or dust. It is also important to properly ground the system and follow all safety regulations to prevent any potential hazards.