Constant e: The Unique Intersection of Exponential and Linear Functions

• Thread starter Jhenrique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the number "k" that satisfies the given conditions is the constant e. This relationship has important implications and can be proved by considering the behavior of the functions k^x and kx. The proof shows that there is only one intersection for 0 < k \leq 1 and for k > 1, the value of k must be e for there to be only one intersection.
Jhenrique
Find a number "k" such that exist only one intersection between the curve exponential k^x e and the straight x·k. This number is the constant e!

Have you noticed this? This relationship must have many important implications and indirect that we already know...

Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]e[/itex] after [itex]x^k[/itex] is unclear. Is it [itex]x^{ke}[/itex] or [itex]x^k \cdot e[/itex]?

Correction:

"between the curve exponential k^x and the straight x·k"

I press "e" not wanting... sorry!

Interesting. Do you know the proof? If you don't then I can post it if you are interested.

I don't know, I just observed... Yes, I'm interesting!

Actually, there is also only one intersection for [itex]0 < k \leq 1[/itex]. Anyway, here's the proof:

Let [itex]k > 0[/itex]. For [itex]0 < k \leq 1[/itex], we have [itex]k^x[/itex] constant or decreasing while [itex]kx[/itex] is increasing. Hence it is easy to show that there is only one intersection, in fact at [itex]x = 1[/itex].

Now assume [itex]k > 1[/itex] and let [itex]f(x) = k^x - kx[/itex] so that [itex]f(x) = 0[/itex] whenever [itex]k^x = kx[/itex]. Now we can notice a few things.

Firstly, as [itex]x \to -\infty[/itex], we have [itex]k^x \to 0[/itex] and [itex]kx \to -\infty[/itex], and so [itex]f(x) \to \infty[/itex].

Secondly, as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex], we have [itex]\frac{k^x}{kx} \to \infty[/itex] since [itex]k > 1[/itex] and so [itex]f(x) \to \infty[/itex].

Lastly, we can see that [itex]f(1) = k^1 - 1 \cdot k = 0[/itex] for any [itex]k[/itex].

Considering the limits shown above, if [itex]f(x) < 0[/itex] for some [itex]x[/itex], then there must be at least two zeros of [itex]f[/itex] by the intermediate value theorem. Thus, if there is only one intersection, we must have [itex]f(x) \geq 0[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex]. So [itex]f[/itex] is a minimum at its only zero (which must be [itex]1[/itex] by our last observation above). Since [itex]f[/itex] differentiable, this means we must have [itex]f'(1) = 0[/itex]. Since [itex]f'(x) = \log(k)k^x - k[/itex] so the criteria [itex]f'(1) = 0[/itex] implies [itex]\log(k)k - k = 0[/itex]. But [itex]k > 0[/itex] and so [itex]\log(k) = 1 \implies k = e[/itex] which you observed.

Likes DaTario

What is the constant e?

The constant e, also known as Euler's number, is an irrational number with a value of approximately 2.71828.

What is the significance of the constant e in mathematics?

The constant e is a fundamental mathematical constant that appears in many mathematical equations and is used to represent exponential growth and decay.

How is the constant e calculated?

The constant e can be calculated using the infinite series: e = 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + ...

What are some real-life applications of the constant e?

The constant e is used in many fields, such as finance, physics, and biology, to model natural phenomena such as population growth and compound interest.

Why is the constant e important in calculus?

The constant e is important in calculus because it is the base of the natural logarithm function, which is a key concept in derivative and integral calculations.