Understanding Wave Graphs: 4t & 30° Phase Angle

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary: So if you have a sine wave with an amplitude of 4 and a phase angle of 30, the resulting waveform would have a amplitude of 16 and a phase angle of -15.
Maxwell
Lately, I have been trying to get a deeper understanding of a few concepts, and I was trying to analylize a wave I found in my textbook:

I know the sinusoidal equation is:

[itex]Vs = Vm*sin({\omega}t + {\phi})[/itex]

The equation for the given wave is:

[itex]Vs = Vm*sin(4t + 30^o)[/itex]

My question is how does the 4t change this graph? Also, What does the phase angle change*?

If the equation was just [itex]Vs = Vm*sin(4t)[/itex], how would the graph change?

Thank you!

PS - Please excuse the terrible mspaint graph!

Attachments

• wave.JPG
    wave.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 399
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I may be very wrong, but the angle is the phase angle of the sinusoid. This comes into play when dealing with power factors. ie, phase matching.
hope this sheds some light...

(take everything with a grain of salt, it tastes better that way)

Maxwell said:
Lately, I have been trying to get a deeper understanding of a few concepts, and I was trying to analylize a wave I found in my textbook:

I know the sinusoidal equation is:

[itex]Vs = Vm*sin({\omega}t + {\phi})[/itex]

The equation for the given wave is:

[itex]Vs = Vm*sin(4t + 30^o)[/itex]

My question is how does the 4t change this graph? Also, What does the phase angle change*?

If the equation was just [itex]Vs = Vm*sin(4t)[/itex], how would the graph change?

Thank you!

PS - Please excuse the terrible mspaint graph!
you need to understand the relationship between radians and degrees..
[itex]{\omega}=2{\pi}/t [/itex] radians /sec
and how to convert between the two.. and where each one is on the graph ..

Maxwell said:
My question is how does the 4t change this graph? Also, What does the phase angle change?
Actually the graph you attached explains it all.
Phase is basically offset of the regular sin(x) or cos(x), i.e. shift along the horizontal axis. While angular velocity/frquency (w = 4t) is the frequency of the signal, i.e. if it were just t, the sinusoidal graph would have just one wave-length through the period of 2pi, for 4t crudely speaking, you have 4 wave-lengths crammed into segment of 2pi.
So, I would read-up on basic relationship of frequency/period and how f(x) behaves: f(cx), f(x + c) and so on, it's explained in Calculus I.

It maybe worth looking into this deeper to show how different variables act on the wave.

Take the formula [itex]Vs = A*sin({\omega}t + {\phi})+C[/itex]

The A is the amplitude and represents the different between the upper and lower peaks.

The [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular velocity: [itex]\omega = 2{\pi}f = 2{\pi}/T[/itex]

The [itex]\phi[/itex] is the phase angle, i.e. the horizontal offset graphically speaking.

The C is the vertical offset from the x-axis, usually defined as the DC element of the waveform (in electronics).

1. What is a phase angle in wave graphs?

A phase angle in wave graphs represents the horizontal shift of a wave in relation to its starting point. It is measured in degrees and can have a positive or negative value.

2. How is a 4t phase angle different from other phase angles?

A 4t phase angle indicates that the wave has shifted four complete cycles to the left or right of its starting point. This is different from other phase angles, which represent a fraction of one cycle.

3. What does a 30° phase angle tell us about a wave?

A 30° phase angle means that the wave has shifted 30 degrees to the left or right of its starting point. This can affect the amplitude and frequency of the wave, as well as its overall shape.

4. How does a phase angle affect the shape of a wave graph?

A phase angle can cause a wave to appear stretched or compressed, depending on its value. A larger phase angle will result in a more significant horizontal shift and a more distorted wave graph.

5. Why is understanding wave graphs with phase angles important in science?

Understanding wave graphs with phase angles is essential in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It allows scientists to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of waves, which are fundamental to many natural phenomena.