Finding a Quartic Polynomial Equation

• Thread starter omg precal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, a quartic polynomial P(x) with real coefficients has zeros 2 + i and 3 - 2i. The other zeros are obviously 2 - i and 3 + 2i. If P(0) = 13, the rule for P(x) is 1/5x^4 - 2x^3 + 42/5x^2 - 82/5x + 13. For the problem about a ball thrown upwards, the ball hits the ground after 7 seconds and the maximum height is found by completing the square of the quadratic formula. Graphing a quintic polynomial can be done using a calculator.
omg precal

Homework Statement

A quartic polynomial P(x) with real coefficients has zeros 2 + i and 3 - 2i. The other zeros are obviously 2 - i and 3 + 2i. If P(0) = 13, find a rule for P(x).

Homework Equations

-b/a = sum of all roots ; e/a = product of all roots

ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure e has to equal -13 because that would be the only way P(0) = 13, right?
If someone could kindly tell me how to solve this problem, it would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I Need This Asap Please!

Write the polynomial as a*(x-(2+i))*(x-(2-i))*(x-(3+2i))*(x-(3-2i)). You could just multiply it out and find a.

Simply multiply together the linear factors, and scale the coefficients to fit:

[tex](x-(2+i))(x-(2-i))(x-(3-2i))(x-(3+2i)) = x^4 - 10x^3 + 42x^2 - 82 x + 65[/tex]

Then scale by 5 to get the constant coefficient to be 13.

1/5x^4 - 2x^3 + 42/5x^2 - 82/5x + 13? that wouldn't work because the constant coefficient has to be negative 13 in order for P(0) to equal 13... would i then make everything negative? it already looks messy enough.

P(0) IS 13. What are you talking about?

oops, my bad. thanks, Dick and genneth.

One more thing I'm having trouble with...

From a platform 35m above the ground, a ball is thrown upward with an initial speed of 30 m/s. The approximate height of the ball above the ground t seconds later is given by h(t) = 35 + 30t - 5t^2. After how many seconds does the ball hit the ground? What is the domain and range of h? After how many seconds does the ball reach its maximum height above the ground?

Thanks again!

jeez, you ppl on this forum are smart as hell. ^_^

Also need this one ASAP.

Please!

Need your input first. It's not that hard. Start the problem out, how do you find when it hits the ground?

35 + 30t - 5t^2...

divide everything by 5?

7 + 6t - t^2?

rewrite it = t^2 - 6t - 7?

factor? (x - 7) (x + 1) ?

cant be negative, so 7 is the answer? after 7 seconds, the height is 0? i did that, but it seems waaaay too simple.

and also how would u find its maximum height in air?

>_<

how do u graph a quintic? should i just plug it in my calculator and copy it or is there a better way?

please, everyone, i need answers quickly! aahhh.

omg precal said:
35 + 30t - 5t^2...
The problem was to use that height formula to determine when it hit the ground: h= 0. You want to solve the equation 35+ 30t- 5t^2= 0.

divide everything by 5?

7 + 6t - t^2?
Now that it is an equation you can simplify the equation by dividing both sides by 5: 7+ 6t- t^2= 0.

rewrite it = t^2 - 6t - 7?
Well, multiply the entire equation by -1: t^2- 6t- 7= 0.

factor? (x - 7) (x + 1) ?

cant be negative, so 7 is the answer? after 7 seconds, the height is 0? i did that, but it seems waaaay too simple.
Yes, you factor the right side of the equation and have (x-7)(x-1)= 0. Would you prefer it were harder?
Please remember that you have to deal with equations not just expressions.

omg precal said:
and also how would u find its maximum height in air?
h(t)= 35+ 6t- t^2 is a quadratic. Complete the square to get h(t)= H- (t-a)^2 (you find H and a). When t= a, h(t)= H. For t any other value, h(t)= H minus something and is lower. the maximum height is H and that happens when t= a.

>_<

how do u graph a quintic? should i just plug it in my calculator and copy it or is there a better way?

please, everyone, i need answers quickly! aahhh.
Quintic? A fifth degree polynomial? Is this yet a third question in the same thread? I would recommend using a calculator.

HallsofIvy said:
The problem was to use that height formula to determine when it hit the ground: h= 0. You want to solve the equation 35+ 30t- 5t^2= 0.

Thanks.

Now that it is an equation you can simplify the equation by dividing both sides by 5: 7+ 6t- t^2= 0.

Thanks again.

Well, multiply the entire equation by -1: t^2- 6t- 7= 0.

Once more, thank you.

Yes, you factor the right side of the equation and have (x-7)(x-1)= 0. Would you prefer it were harder? Not really... :tongue2:
Please remember that you have to deal with equations not just expressions.

h(t)= 35+ 6t- t^2 is a quadratic. Complete the square to get h(t)= H- (t-a)^2 (you find H and a). When t= a, h(t)= H. For t any other value, h(t)= H minus something and is lower. the maximum height is H and that happens when t= a.

Can you explain this once more? I don't get it.

Quintic? A fifth degree polynomial? Is this yet a third question in the same thread? I would recommend using a calculator.

Ok, thanks.

Look at Bold.

Last edited:

1. What is a quartic polynomial equation?

A quartic polynomial equation is a polynomial equation of degree four. This means that the highest power of the variable in the equation is four. It has the general form of ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you find the roots of a quartic polynomial equation?

To find the roots of a quartic polynomial equation, you can use the quadratic formula or the quartic formula. The quadratic formula can be used if the equation is in the form ax2 + bx + c = 0. The quartic formula is a more complex formula that can be used for any quartic polynomial equation. However, it involves taking the fourth root, which may result in complex solutions.

3. What is the degree of a quartic polynomial equation?

The degree of a quartic polynomial equation is four. This means that the highest power of the variable in the equation is four. The degree of a polynomial equation is important because it helps determine the number of solutions or roots of the equation.

4. Can a quartic polynomial equation have more than four roots?

No, a quartic polynomial equation can have a maximum of four roots. This is because it is a polynomial of degree four, and the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n can have at most n distinct roots.

5. How is a quartic polynomial equation used in real life?

Quartic polynomial equations can be used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. In engineering, they can be used to model the motion of objects, while in physics, they can be used to describe the behavior of systems. In economics, they can be used to analyze supply and demand curves.