Kinetic, potential and mechanical energy question.

In summary, the conversation is about determining the total loss of mechanical energy of a 5.5 x 10^4 kg airplane during a change in speed and altitude. The solution involves using the formulas for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy, and calculating the difference between the initial and final values. The correct answer is 5.5 x 10^9 Joules.
solarwind

Homework Statement

A 5.5 x 10^4 kg airplane, traveling at an altitude of 9.9 km, has a speed of 260 m/s relative to the ground. Nearing the end of the flight, the plane slows to a speed of 140 m/s while descending to an altitude of 2.1 km. Determine the plane's total loss of mechanical energy during this change of speed and altitude.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_g = mgh[/tex]
[tex]E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start to solve this problem. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mechanical energy is just the sum of gravitational PE and kinetic energy. You have the formulas for both--just crank it out.

Doc Al said:
The mechanical energy is just the sum of gravitational PE and kinetic energy. You have the formulas for both--just crank it out.

Thanks dude!

Ok, I did this:

a)
Eg = mgh
Ek = mv^2, where v I put 260 m/s
Et1 = Eg + Ek

b)
Same thing as above but with the second values.
Elost = Et1 - Et2.

The answer is supposed tob e 5.5 x 10^9 Joules but i get 4.98 x 10^9 Joules. What did I do wrong? Did I go about this the right way?

Looks like the right way to me. If you post the details of your calculation, perhaps we can spot an error. (Or confirm your answer.)

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is the energy that an object has when it is moving. Potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that an object has due to its position or state. It is the energy that an object has when it is at rest.

2. How are kinetic and potential energy related?

Kinetic and potential energy are related because potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when you lift an object, it gains potential energy. When you release the object, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the object falls.

3. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic and potential energy. It is the total energy that an object has due to its motion and position. Mechanical energy can be converted from one form to another, but the total amount remains constant.

4. Does the mass of an object affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its kinetic energy. The heavier an object is, the more kinetic energy it has when it is moving at the same speed as a lighter object. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of an object.

5. Can energy be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.