Does gravity turn time into space?

In summary: So, in summary, the demonstration of gravity for a lay audience will explain how a free-falling object's travel through time is converted into travel through space due to the curvature of spacetime caused by gravity. This explanation aims to create a qualitative understanding of the concept without delving into rigorous mathematical explanations.
Karl Coryat
I am preparing a simple demonstration of gravity for a lay audience, inspired by this applet and the well-known book Relativity Visualized. These resources suggest that for a free-falling object, the curvature of spacetime "converts" some of the object's travel through time into travel through space. That seems to be the case: As the object accelerates due to gravity, we fixed observers see its clock slow down (neglecting GR time dilation caused by the object approaching the gravitational mass).

In my presentation, to explain why a released object goes from "stationary" to falling, I'd like to say something to that effect (with graphics similar to the above applet): that when spacetime is curved, a free-falling object's ordinary travel through time spontaneously begins to transform into travel through space as well.

Is the statement reasonably accurate? Mind you, I am merely trying to create a qualitative "aha!" moment, not a rigorous explanation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Karl Coryat said:
Is the statement reasonably accurate? Mind you, I am merely trying to create a qualitative "aha!" moment, not a rigorous explanation. Thank you.

For the stated purposes I would say your explanation is perfectly fine. The rigorous explanation simply takes what you said and puts it on mathematical grounds anyways.

Likes 1 person

1. How does gravity affect time and space?

Gravity affects time and space by warping the fabric of spacetime. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects such as planets and stars create a curvature in spacetime, which causes other objects to follow a curved path around them. This curvature also affects the flow of time, making it appear to slow down near massive objects.

2. Can gravity really turn time into space?

While it may seem like gravity is turning time into space, it is actually warping the fabric of spacetime. Time and space are interconnected and cannot be separated, so gravity is simply affecting both aspects of spacetime simultaneously.

3. How does the concept of spacetime relate to gravity and time?

Spacetime is the four-dimensional framework in which all objects and events exist. Gravity is a fundamental force that affects the curvature of spacetime, causing it to bend and warp. This bending of spacetime also affects the flow of time, making it appear to pass differently in different areas of the universe.

4. Does gravity affect time and space equally?

No, gravity affects time and space differently. The more massive an object is, the greater its influence on the curvature of spacetime and the flow of time. This is why time appears to pass slower near massive objects like black holes.

5. Can gravity be used to travel through time?

While it is possible to use the effects of gravity to travel through time in theory, it would require immense amounts of energy and technology that do not currently exist. Additionally, the concept of time travel is still largely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible.