Meditation have increased levels of happiness

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Levels
In summary: The conversation discusses the concept of happiness as a skill that can be learned and cultivated through managing our thoughts and attitudes. The article references a study which shows that even minimal meditation can increase levels of happiness and highlights the abilities of a man named Mr. Ricard, who has spent over 10,000 hours meditating and has achieved exceptionally high levels of happiness. The conversation also includes quotes from Charles Swindoll and discusses the idea that attitude plays a crucial role in how we perceive and react to life's challenges. Some participants in the conversation express skepticism or disagreement with the idea that happiness can be achieved through managing one's thoughts, while others believe in the power of positive thinking. Overall, the conversation explores the
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... Further studies have shown that even novices who have done only a little meditation have increased levels of happiness. But Mr Ricard's abilities were head and shoulders above the others involved in the trials.

"The mind is malleable," Mr Ricard told The Independent on Sunday yesterday. "Our life can be greatly transformed by even a minimal change in how we manage our thoughts and perceive and interpret the world. Happiness is a skill. It requires effort and time."

Mr Ricard was brought up among Paris's intellectual elite in the 1960s, but after working for a PhD in biochemsitry he abandoned his distinguished academic career to study Tibetan Buddhism in the Himalayas. [continued]
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2171679.ece [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearances, giftedness or skill. The remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play out the one string we have and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."
-- Charles Swindoll

I read somewhere that pain is inevitable but suffering is optional, it all happens in your own mind.

Tzemach said:
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearances, giftedness or skill. The remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play out the one string we have and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."
-- Charles Swindoll

I read somewhere that pain is inevitable but suffering is optional, it all happens in your own mind.

I might just frame your post and hang it in my office. :smile:

Sure you can try to convince yourself to always be "happy".

"I lost my job, my car and my house - I'm happy"

I can't afford the medical treatment my dog needs to live - I'm happy"

I'm trapped in a paralyzed body and can think but can't communicate - I'm happy"

:bugeye: :uhh:

I can see coming to terms, accepting, and learning to cope with bad situations, but expecting someone to be happy about it is ridiculous.

There was a former Korean war soldier I once met who was talking about his time in the war. He made the comment that the "peasant women" that he would watch doing their laundry in the river were some of the happiest people that he had ever seen. They were always singing and laughing, which he found hard to understand.

I should have posted this in M&B. I was thinking more of the physiology involved.

Ivan Seeking said:
There was a former Korean war soldier I once met who was talking about his time in the war. He made the comment that the "peasant women" that he would watch doing their laundry in the river were some of the happiest people that he had ever seen. They were always singing and laughing, which he found hard to understand.
How could someone not understand this? This is all they knew. The were living the good life as far as they were concerned.

Paris Hilton would not be happy without servants and a private jet and having to work for a lviing. I don't have those things, so not having them doesn't affect my happiness. How could someone not realize that a person can't miss what they don't know? Those women weren't aware of the lifestyle or conveniences that this soldier was aware of so why would he think his personal experiences would affect how they think?

Sorry to be so negative on this but "ten thousand hours" spent meditating. Yeah, I guess I should have given my kids over to foster care, quit my job, let the bank reposess my house and car, shirked all responsibility and run off to Tibet to become a monk. Except...WAIT...I'm female, I can't become a Tibetan monk, I can only become a Buddhist nun, and serve the monks, but never have the status or rights or freedoms that they do. But , hmmmm, he's a man, his meditation doesn't include women in Tibetan Buddhist society. Guess his new book won't mention it either. Hmmmm. :devil:

Last edited:
As far as the mental part of it, it's well known that people can talk themselves into severe psychosis, why not a psychotic "happy" state? Voodoo relies on the ability of the victim to scare themselves to death. The mind is very powerful. I just don't think that imposing a false sense of happiness when you truly have problems that need to be dealt with is either reasonable or healthy.

Evo said:
As far as the mental part of it, it's well known that people can talk themselves into severe psychosis, why not a psychotic "happy" state? Voodoo relies on the ability of the victim to scare themselves to death. The mind is very powerful. I just don't think that imposing a false sense of happiness when you truly have problems that need to be dealt with is either reasonable or healthy.

People in the throes of mania often experience a euphoric state.

Evo said:
How could someone not understand this? This is all they knew. The were living the good life as far as they were concerned.

Which only makes the point that it is a matter of perception. The point is not that one should drop of society and become a monk, the point is that happiness is a skill.

Right now I am going through the daily reports from Tsu: Will my mother live the rest of her life in absolute misery, or will she recover. I could choose to dwell on the pain of what she's enduring and the decisions we are faced with, which is absolutely heartbreaking, or I can refuse to be overwhelmed by it. Tsu and I have to keep reminding each other that "it is what it is". That helps. It helps to accept things for what they are. It is a state of mind.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Which only makes the point that it is a matter of perception. The point is not that one should drop of society and become a monk, the point is that happiness is a skill.
Sure it's a skill to keep it elevated and applied to numerous things. Wouldn't keeping a positive attitude in the event that something bad happens be better than trying to make yourself feel happy about bad things?

My kitten dies, I'm sad, but I keep a positive attitude that I gave it the best I could while it was alive.

Happy that it died? That's sick.

Ivan Seeking said:
Right now I am going through the daily reports from Tsu: Will my mother live the rest of her life in absolute misery, or will she recover. I could choose to dwell on the pain of what she's enduring and the decisions we are faced with, which is absolutely heartbreaking, or I can refuse to be overwhelmed by it. Tsu and I have to keep reminding each other that "it is what it is". That helps. It helps to accept things for what they are. It is a state of mind.
Exactly, you need to stay positive. You are both doing the best you can. That doesn't mean that you need to pretend to be happy about the situation. You can be comforted knowing you've done your best, you've risen to the crisis, done more than a lot of other people in your shoes. I don't see where happiniess really is appropriate here. Staying positive kept you focused on what needed to be done and keep trying. Happiness would have made you complacent and likely to give up.

You and Tsu have been in a terrible position. You've both done so much more than anyone could have asked of you. Still there is a limit to what you can do. What you accomplished helped so much. In that you can be happy. But what got you through was perserverance, determination, and a strong, positive attitude. Dang, if I ever get sick, I want you two taking care of me.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so negative on this but "ten thousand hours" spent meditating. Yeah, I guess I should have given my kids over to foster care, quit my job, let the bank reposess my house and car, shirked all responsibility and run off to Tibet to become a monk. Except...WAIT...I'm female, I can't become a Tibetan monk, I can only become a Buddhist nun, and serve the monks, but never have the status or rights or freedoms that they do. But , hmmmm, he's a man, his meditation doesn't include women in Tibetan Buddhist society. Guess his new book won't mention it either. Hmmmm.
Thanks for that touch of reality, Evo. I had to laugh at your eloquent rant. :smile:

You've got some valid points - one can't miss what one never had; and if you loose your health completely or a loved one or even a loved pet, humans are compelled to feel sad. Yep. That's the reality.

But I don't think that was what Ivan and others have in mind when they say things like "happiness comes from inside."

Here's another fun quote I found:
“Happiness does not consist in having what you want, but wanting what you have.”
~Some old Chinese guy named "Confused" or something like that.

And all this time I thought Sheryl Crow wrote those words.

"I don’t have digital
I don’t have diddly squat
It’s not having what you want
It’s wanting what you’ve got"
~Sheryl of Crow

For example, the point about the Korean War veteran remarking on the happiness of the peasant woman can also be seen as a person that 'wants what she's got'. Doesn't she realize how much more people in America or Europe or Japan or other places have? I think we'd have to be pretty naive to think she was oblivious.

Maybe one of the lessons Paris Hilton needs to learn has to do with not relying on that jet plane to paradise for her adrenaline rush of happiness.

My father is 75 or so. Hell I don't know for sure. But he's said only half jokingly in the past, "When I die, I'd like everyone to have a party for me; to celebrate the life I had." I may just take him up on that offer.

There is only one thing that can make you happy, sad, angry or any emotion you can name. That thing is YOU. How you react to outside stimulus is a choice you make. The choice will be made either consciously or unconsciously. Those who make the choice unconsciously tend to blame the event for that emotion. Those who are aware, and in tune with, their emotions can experience the emotions without being caught up in the storm.
These are all very Buddist type concepts.. Being aware of emotions without letting them rule your life is not easy but can be done.

Happness is your choice. Events happen that cause legitmate unhappy feelings, this is called life. How you react to these legitmate feelings is your choice

Evo said:
Sorry to be so negative on this but "ten thousand hours" spent meditating. Yeah, I guess I should have given my kids over to foster care, quit my job, let the bank reposess my house and car, shirked all responsibility and run off to Tibet to become a monk. Except...WAIT...I'm female, I can't become a Tibetan monk, I can only become a Buddhist nun, and serve the monks, but never have the status or rights or freedoms that they do. But , hmmmm, he's a man, his meditation doesn't include women in Tibetan Buddhist society. Guess his new book won't mention it either. Hmmmm. :devil:

Oh, my oh my, You raise some very ugly memories with this post.

I lost my first wife to Buddist meditation. She chose meditation over our marriage.

Well, I might not be quite as negative as Evo, but it seems that it would be pretty easy to be "happy" if you ignored all the worries and concerns of life and just spent all your time meditating. If you want to do more than sit around all day humming (or whatever people do when they meditate), then there are worries and stresses that go with it. As the old saying goes, "Ignorance is bliss."

Seriously now, who here would be happy with a life of chanting and prayer? I think the idea that this would be easy or automatic ignores issues such as the utter boredom, the lack of challenge, the lack of input and self expression, or even worse, God forbid, a world that has no need for problem sovling! I would go stark raving mad.

What I find intersting is the idea that happiness might be enhanced through the use of these techniques. Why? What is the physiology? Could the same results be obtain using other methods? Is this psychological, or does this happen purely as a function of some stimulus and chemistry? And for that matter, is there such as thing as a "psychological" issue that is not ultimately physiological? What do we know about the source of happiness?

The goal is realization. That is the state of being where you can experience the emotions of life without being caught up in them. The analogy was to see your emotions as a river flowing past. The non realized person is carried by the current of their emotions with no control, while the realized person is standing on the bank of the river watching the emotions flow past, you feel them but remain aware that they are just passing emotions and do not have to control your actions. So the goal would be to experience your emotions while remaining in control of your reactions to the emotions.

To attain this enlightened state all you need do is chant a few hundred thousand mantras at least that is what my ex believed. She decided that she needed to get there quick so was spending 4-8hrs per day chanting. This with myself and our 2 sons (4 and 6 at that time) expecting her to be a part of the family. I felt she simply sat around thinking about all of our problems while doing nothing concrete to deal with them. This amount of contemplation with no action can elevate mole hills into mountains. I believe that this was a huge contributor to the end of our marriage.

I believe that it is possible to live in a state of mind where you can feel and experience the joys and sorrows of life without being dashed about as a chip in the waves. I also believe that with this level of understanding comes peace and contentment.

Ivan Seeking said:
Seriously now, who here would be happy with a life of chanting and prayer? I think the idea that this would be easy or automatic ignores issues such as the utter boredom, the lack of challenge, the lack of input and self expression, or even worse, God forbid, a world that has no need for problem sovling! I would go stark raving mad.

I would too, but I'm also not running off to Tibet to meditate day and night. But, remember that there are people who are totally content to not problem solve, and who think happiness comes from sitting around and doing nothing. They're the people who can sit on the couch all night and watch TV and nothing else, and think that's a great way to spend the evening. Or, they're the people who can go sit in a nail salon and just let someone else give them a manicure while they sit around chit chatting about the most pointless and mundane things (the ONE time in my life I got a manicure...enforced by the bride-to-be for whom I agreed to be a bridesmaid...I thought I was going to use my freshly painted nails to gouge someone's eyes out if I got any more bored; it was a painfully boring experience to me, but there are people who do this religiously every month and think it's the most relaxing, enjoyable highlight of the month). There are a lot of people who find happiness in having no challenges or problems to deal with. I wouldn't. But, I'm already pretty happy. Facing challenges in the lab, and spending my days in the classroom teaching others make me happy. Getting to divide my research time between the lab and a farm makes me happy. Sitting here throwing a ball for the cat while posting on PF makes me happy. As was stated above, it's all about attitude. If we spend all our time pining for what we don't have instead of appreciating what we do have, it's harder to be happy than if we look at everything we do have and realize how good it really is. Sometimes I wonder if it comes from something as simple as having an unspoiled childhood. I never expected things to just be handed to me, so don't find myself dissatisfied if they aren't, and can instead enjoy when I accomplish things on my own.

Ivan said: What I find intersting is the idea that happiness might be enhanced through the use of these techniques. Why? What is the physiology?
I'm no biologist, but maybe you're looking for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin" [Broken]? Could meditating release endorphins?
Could the same results be obtain using other methods?
Apparently, this website claims various activities release endorphins which can lead to a sensation of euphoria. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being highest) they claim:
Have an Orgasm
"I personally think that having an orgasm is a great way to get a rush of endorphins," says Dr. Fuhrman. "You may have to run for an hour to get a runner's high, depending on your body. Sex is less effort." (And, ahem, much more fun.)
Endorphin factor: 5 — even if it's a quickie.
Ref: http://health.ivillage.com/mindbody/mbhappy/0,,9b3zbv6s-p,00.html"
Ok, ok, maybe this isn't the most respected scientific site on the net, but I think I'll give it a go.
(All in the name of science, of course...) :smile:

I know about the euphoric effect of endorphins, but I don't equate happiness with euphoria. If they are the same then there is no need for psychology here. Is psychology a sham? :biggrin: [I was teasing a bit; not a sham, but obsolete in the treatment of depression, for example?]

btw, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression by mentioning my mother. This thread was motivated by the article. My own state of mind is just fine...well...depending on whom you ask. :biggrin:

[oh yes, and thanks Evo, but Tsu deserves the lion's share of the credit. She has been incredible! And you would have to know my mother in order to appreciate just how incredible]

Last edited:
Integral said:
The goal is realization. That is the state of being where you can experience the emotions of life without being caught up in them. The analogy was to see your emotions as a river flowing past. The non realized person is carried by the current of their emotions with no control, while the realized person is standing on the bank of the river watching the emotions flow past, you feel them but remain aware that they are just passing emotions and do not have to control your actions. So the goal would be to experience your emotions while remaining in control of your reactions to the emotions.
This is true.

Integral said:
To attain this enlightened state all you need do is chant a few hundred thousand mantras at least that is what my ex believed. She decided that she needed to get there quick so was spending 4-8hrs per day chanting. This with myself and our 2 sons (4 and 6 at that time) expecting her to be a part of the family. I felt she simply sat around thinking about all of our problems while doing nothing concrete to deal with them. This amount of contemplation with no action can elevate mole hills into mountains. I believe that this was a huge contributor to the end of our marriage.
I think she missed the point and instead of 'realization', the ex-wife chose to escape.

Integral said:
I believe that it is possible to live in a state of mind where you can feel and experience the joys and sorrows of life without being dashed about as a chip in the waves. I also believe that with this level of understanding comes peace and contentment.
Definitely! :approve:

Personally, I like to be in the thick of things. I could have quit and become something of a monk or mendicant - but that would have been to easy. I just prefer to life head on. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Sure you can try to convince yourself to always be "happy".
One could, but that would not be happiness.

I can see coming to terms, accepting, and learning to cope with bad situations, but expecting someone to be happy about it is ridiculous.
That is not the point. The point is to be happy in spite of the bad situation - to make the best of a bad situation.

As Integral mentioned - "I believe that it is possible to live in a state of mind where you can feel and experience the joys and sorrows of life without being dashed about as a chip in the waves. I also believe that with this level of understanding comes peace and contentment."

Astronuc said:
Evo said:
That is not the point. The point is to be happy in spite of the bad situation - to make the best of a bad situation.
That's basically what I just said "coming to terms, accepting, and learning to cope with bad situations". The point that goes overboard is "being happy" about it. That's too "out there", and can actually be unhealthy. You can make the best of a situation without "feeling happy." It's not even appropriate in many cases to "feel happy" about the end result. Perhaps not blaming yourself or feeling guilty is the healthy response.

Let's say that someone breaks into my house. A series of murders have just been commited in my area by someone breaking into the homes. I decide to get a gun.. That night someone breaks into my house, they're coming into my bedroom, I yell for them to leave or I'll shoot, they keep advancing, I see a knife, they're much larger than me, I'll die like all the others. I shoot -he dies. I saved my life. I can come to terms, accept, and learn to cope with what happened". The point that goes overboard is "being happy" about it.

Do you see what I'm saying? There are too many instances where pushing yourself to the point of being happy about something is just SICK.

Last edited:
What is "happy".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...bmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12883106
there is a free full text access

Psychosom Med. 2003 Jul-Aug;65(4):564-70.
Comment in:

* Psychosom Med. 2004 Jan-Feb;66(1):147-8; author reply 147-8.
* Psychosom Med. 2004 Jan-Feb;66(1):148-52; author reply 148-52. Alterations in brain and immune function produced by mindfulness meditation.

Davidson RJ, Kabat-Zinn J, Schumacher J, Rosenkranz M, Muller D, Santorelli SF, Urbanowski F, Harrington A, Bonus K, Sheridan JF.

Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience, Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA. rjdavids@facstaff.wisc.edu

OBJECTIVE: The underlying changes in biological processes that are associated with reported changes in mental and physical health in response to meditation have not been systematically explored. We performed a randomized, controlled study on the effects on brain and immune function of a well-known and widely used 8-week clinical training program in mindfulness meditation applied in a work environment with healthy employees. METHODS: We measured brain electrical activity before and immediately after, and then 4 months after an 8-week training program in mindfulness meditation. Twenty-five subjects were tested in the meditation group. A wait-list control group (N = 16) was tested at the same points in time as the meditators. At the end of the 8-week period, subjects in both groups were vaccinated with influenza vaccine. RESULTS: We report for the first time significant increases in left-sided anterior activation, a pattern previously associated with positive affect, in the meditators compared with the nonmeditators. We also found significant increases in antibody titers to influenza vaccine among subjects in the meditation compared with those in the wait-list control group. Finally, the magnitude of increase in left-sided activation predicted the magnitude of antibody titer rise to the vaccine. CONCLUSIONS: These findings demonstrate that a short program in mindfulness meditation produces demonstrable effects on brain and immune function. These findings suggest that meditation may change brain and immune function in positive ways and underscore the need for additional research.

Publication Types:

* Clinical Trial
* Comparative Study
* Randomized Controlled Trial
* Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
* Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S. PMID: 12883106 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's basically what I just said "coming to terms, accepting, and learning to cope with bad situations". The point that goes overboard is "being happy" about it.
I was trying to draw the distinction between 'being happy about' a bad situation, and 'being happy in spite of' a bad situation. The two are very different.

There are too many instances where pushing yourself to the point of being happy about something is just SICK.
I would agree with this statement.

Ivan Seeking said:
What is "happy".
Now you ask? :rofl:

So let's go to the dictionary
enjoying or characterized by well-being and contentment <is the happiest person I know> <a happy childhood> b : expressing, reflecting, or suggestive of happiness <a happy ending> c : GLAD, PLEASED <I'm happy to meet you> d : having or marked by an atmosphere of good fellowship : FRIENDLY <a happy office>

a : characterized by a dazed irresponsible state <a punch-happy boxer> b : impulsively or obsessively quick to use or do something <trigger-happy> c : enthusiastic about something to the point of obsession : OBSESSED <education-conscious and statistic-happy -- Helen Rowen>
Merriam-Webster on-line (www.merriamwebster.com)[/URL]. The second sense is rather strange.

Happiness (MW) - "a : a state of well-being and contentment : JOY b : a pleasurable or satisfying experience."

Of course, happiness is an emotion or a state of mind, or neurophysiologically - it appears to be related to certain levels of serotonin in the appropriate part of the brain. I presume this is the reason that serotonin reuptake inhibitors work.

I would buy into the idea that we understand happiness if depression wasn't so common in the most medicated population in history. For example, my aunt has been in therapy and taking anti-depressants for twenty years now, and I doubt much has improved in all that time. Generally, I see little evidence that we can explain happiness chemically.

A chemistry problem that causes depression might be treated, but that doesn't suggest that happiness is explained by the same chemisty.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
A chemistry problem that causes depression might be treated, but that doesn't suggest that happiness is explained by the same chemisty.
Well, emotions certainly involve neurostransmitters as does other brain functions - however the problem is certainly more complex than one or two centers of the brain.

If one looks at the fact that people respond differently to the same stimulation, e.g. I might enjoy or experience happiness in response to some music or art or other sensory input, but someone else might be indifferent, and yet another might be depressed by the same sensory input.

Which begs the question - can we control our own emotions?

For some 'being happy' is a choice. For others though, it seems the brain maybe wired in a way which preclude happiness. But how does one determine whether one is making a choice of being happy or not, or whether one's brain structure simply precludes happiness?

What I find intersting is the idea that happiness might be enhanced through the use of these techniques.

I'm no scientist but I think I can shed some light on this issue.

I am always wary of things like this, because the situation isn't static. A good example is the stock market. Imagine someone who owns a bunch of stock decides that he or she thinks their stock will devalue, so they sell their stock. Then some other people see them sell and they think that person must know something, so they sell. This chain continues until many people have sold stock and the stock devalues. So did the person sell because the stock would devalue, or did the stock devalue because the person sold?

As you can see, this works both ways. Perhaps you convince yourself that happiness is a skill, or at least you suspend your disbelief and decide to give it a try. So you take more breaks, reward yourself on occasion, etc, and you become more happy. So was there any skill involved? No, of course not. You changed your routine and that made it better.

I just think that often once the ball is rolling, it picks up speed. I don't believe this mumbo-jumbo about meditating and whatever. I think it is self-reinforcing. The person meditates, they feel a bit better probably because their routine has changed and that always feels good, they attribute it to the meditation and continue down that road.

Similarly, a smoker comes to relish the calming effect of cigarettes but of course cigarettes have no calming effect, that effect is sating the body's craving for nicotine. If one wants to be calm, one should cut out cigarettes altogether.

So I see in all these things a tendency to mistake the nature of the effects concerned. I don't see that one can choose to be happy but I see people trying to be happy like the smoker trying to be calm; their habits must change. If one identifies those habits that lead to one feeling unhappy then I think one can evolve to become more happy generally.

I don't know about others but my own experience was that when I was on holiday or something like that, the worst time for me was always the last day. If it was the weekend, it was Sunday night. If I was away, it was the day I was returning home. It always felt terrible, like that happy period I had just experienced was gone forever. I suppose it is like the smoker who reaches that last puff and must get back to work, or the drunkard who lays down in bed knowing that when they wake up life will be back to it's aberrant normality.

The only cause I could find for this malady (and I think it is a malady) was that I was living for the weekend, as it were. If one accepts without remorse or regret the way things currently are, one can set about changing them, but if one holds onto old negativity, things will not improve. Happiness is not something one should aim at, rather one should learn to take the good with the bad.

Another thing I like to do when I'm feeling insecure is to analyse how I came to be where I am: what important decisions did I make to get here, what was I thinking at the time? To say that one wishes one had done differently is usually not true, because usually one did what one thought was right at the time, whatever that is, or at least one had convincing reasons at the time, even if they turned out to be wrong. If they were wrong, now is the time to learn from those experiences, but one can hardly learn from and apply experience if one is not prepared to move onward.

Change is a part of life, each life is a process of change and change is something to accept. The past is the past and it should be let go of. By accepting that things are the way they are, that nothing can be done to change them and historical review can only serve to prepare one for the future, and then to live through the change that is living, I think one can be perpetually happy. Conversely, if one does not accept that things are as they are and can't be changed, or one does not accept that things won't improve by themselves and shouldn't be run away from, I then think one is doomed to seek to escape the reality of one's situation.

I don't know about physiological mechanisms or whatever, but I expect it would work like a nicotine patch: supposedly it would give one temporary relief so that one could wean themselves off their bad habit, but I think this could only happen if one identifies what that bad habit is, and of course if one merely substitutes the new source of relief for the old, no improvement will be found.