Order of elements in a group

In summary, if G is an abelian group with elements a and b of orders m and n respectively, and gcd(m,n)=1, the element ab has order mn. This can be shown by assuming a smaller order and using the fact that gcd(m,n)=1 to derive a contradiction. A helpful hint is to use the fact that gcd(m,n)=1 implies lcm(m,n)=mn. By considering the powers of a and b, it can be shown that mn is the smallest such integer.
Jupiter
If G is an abelian group, a in G has order m, b in G has order n, and gcd(m,n)=1, show that ab has order mn.

I am able to show that (ab)^(mn)=e actually occurs. I am having great difficulty however showing that mn is the smallest such integer. I tried to assume that there were a smaller integer, but I could not derive any contradiction. I tried to use the fact that gcd(m,n)=1 as best I could, but I can't make it work for me.

Anyone have any ideas on where to go with this proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
first of all, suspect that you have a minor detail of treating the cases when at least one of a and b equals e, having order 1.

i tried this for a while and didn't make heads or tails of it.

then i did the always helpful example. i supposed m=o(a)=4 and n=o(b)=15. note that gcd(4,15)=1.

suppose o(ab)=k<mn=60.

then (ab)^k=e.

as an example, i supposed k=59.

note that a^59=a^3 because o(a)=4 and 59 = 3 mod 4.

also note that b^59=b^14 because o(b)=15 and 59 = 14 mod 15.

by assuming k=59, ie o(ab)=59, (ab)^59=e.

e=(ab)^59=a^59 b^59 (as G is abelian)
=a^3 b^14.

now "multiply" both sides by ab (using abelian again) to get this:
ab=a^4 b^15=e. hence o(ab)=1<k=59 but k was supposed to be the smallest "power" for which (ab)^k=e

now the harder part is proving that it is true in general. one thing i didn't seem to explicitly make use of is the relative primality of o(a) and o(b)...

Here's a hint:

gcd(m, n) = 1 if and only if lcm(m, n) = mn.

Hurkyl, your hint would be very useful if I could somehow show that the order of ab must be a common multiple of m and n.

... which I cannot do. I suppose that ab has order k, and then I try to show n|k and m|k. I then suppose that I do not have n|k and m|k. I apply the division algorithm and get a^r1b^r2=e. And this does me no good unless I can show ri=0.

Please Hurkyl a further hint.

Blarg, I always forget that step when I try to remember the proof to this problem!

The trick is, IIRC, that [itex]a^p b^q = e[/itex] implies [itex]b^{qm} = e[/itex], and do something from there.

Hurkyl, your genuis quite disgusts me. In any event, I was able to complete the proof. Thanks so much for your help! You weren't by any chance born knowing this, were you?
In case you're interested, you have to instead compute (ab)^q=e^q. Once you get b^(qm)=e, you use the fact that b has order n and that n,m are relatively prime to show n|q. Similarly, you can show m|q. And so q is a common multiple of m,n, and so mn|q.

1. What is the order of elements in a group?

The order of elements in a group refers to the number of elements that make up the group. It is also known as the cardinality or size of the group.

2. How is the order of elements determined in a group?

The order of elements in a group is determined by counting the number of distinct elements in the group. This includes both the identity element and all other elements in the group.

3. Can the order of elements in a group be infinite?

Yes, the order of elements in a group can be infinite. This is the case for infinite groups, which have an infinite number of elements. Examples of infinite groups include the group of integers under addition and the group of real numbers under multiplication.

4. Does the order of elements in a group affect the group's properties?

Yes, the order of elements in a group can affect the group's properties. For example, a group with a larger order may have more complex properties and be more difficult to study compared to a group with a smaller order. The order of elements can also determine if a group is finite or infinite, which can impact the group's behavior.

5. How does the order of elements in a group relate to the group's structure?

The order of elements in a group is closely tied to the group's structure. It can determine the subgroup structure of the group and help classify different types of groups. For example, groups with the same order may have similar structures and exhibit similar properties. Additionally, the order of elements can also affect the group's symmetry and symmetry groups are often classified based on their order.