4-volume is a rank (0,0) tensor?

In summary: Originally posted by lethe what makes the case of the volume form a little tricky is that, unlike the case of other tensors, the volume form only has one component. so that component must therefore be invariant, just like a scalar. in fact, using the physicists definition of a tensor, where a tensor is just a matrix which follows a particular set of transformation rules, then this is indistinguishable from a scalar; it... is just a scalar. At first, I thought the proof involved a Jacobian. But then I read that a better notation would be dx^4. But now I am not sure if I am understanding the proof correctly.
turin
Homework Helper
How can I prove whether or not d4x is a 0th rank tensor? It seems strange that I should be so when it is the product of a 0th, 1st, 2nd and 3rd component, dx0dx1dx2dx3. I heard that the proof involves the Jacobian. I don't get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm notm sure my interpretation is correct, but in differential forms, d^2 is identically zero. so d^4(x) is zero.

Originally posted by matt grime
I'm notm sure my interpretation is correct, but in differential forms, d^2 is identically zero. so d^4(x) is zero.

d^4x is shorthand for the invariant measure in Minkowski 4 space. it is the volume 4 form, not the exterior derivative applied 4 times.

you can explicitly show that it is invariant, just by applying the change of variables formula (involving a Jacobian, as turin correctly suggests).

thank you

Originally posted by matt grime
thank you

in fact, a better notation for the measure would probably be dx^4. but we are stuck with this notation.

Originally posted by lethe
in fact, a better notation for the measure would probably be dx^4. but we are stuck with this notation.
You don't think that would be confused with the 4th component of a tensor (superscript instead of exponent)? I think the notation itself is confusing (the one physicists use). That's why I'm trying to make the transition to using the mathematician's notation, and then instigate a revolution to make all physicists use it under penalty of death by strenuous physical activity.

OK, so d4x' = |∂(xμ')/∂(xν)|d4x
?

I'm understanding
|∂(xμ')/∂(xν)|
to be the Jacobian.
Is this the determinant of the transformation matrix? I took multivariable calculus years ago, and I don't remember this stuff.

Last edited:
Originally posted by turin
You don't think that would be confused with the 4th component of a tensor (superscript instead of exponent)? I think the notation itself is confusing (the one physicists use). That's why I'm trying to make the transition to using the mathematician's notation, and then instigate a revolution to make all physicists use it under penalty of death by strenuous physical activity.

?

in this case, i actually prefer the physicists notation. i agree with you that dx^4 might be misinterpreted as integration with respect to x^4. perhaps (dx)^4 would be best. anyway, to make a fair comparison, i will tell you the mathematicians notation for the volume form:

vol or else Vol.

so this notation is pretty bad, i think.

Edit: whoops. corrected LaTeX error

Last edited:
Originally posted by lethe
anyway, to make a fair comparison, i will tell you the mathematicians notation for the volume form: [itex]\vol[/itex]
It says the latex source is invalid. I see a \vol here. I'm assuming that is supposed to be some sort of a "v" or a fancy "vol."

?

I'm understanding
|∂(xμ')/∂(xν)|
to be the Jacobian.
Is this the determinant of the transformation matrix? I took multivariable calculus years ago, and I don't remember this stuff.

yeah, its the determinant of the Jacobian. and in the case of a Lorentz transformation, this determinant is 1.

OK, lethe,
This is probably going to start getting on your nerves, but this termonology (I hope it's just the termonology) is killing me, and I think that you are not quite appreciating how much I am dying from it.

In my first post, I asked how to prove that d4x is a rank (0,0) tensor. (I am of course considering special relativity so the Minkowski metric tensor.) However, I see that you seem to be calling it a 4-form, which I understand to be a rank (0,4) tensor. Maybe I should say a rank (4,0) tensor. Anyway, I understand a 4-form to not be a rank (0,0) tensor.

Do you have any idea what is making me so confused? Am I just being incredibly stubborn about this? Is the distinction trivial or something?

Do you have any idea what is making me so confused? Am I just being incredibly stubborn about this? Is the distinction trivial or something?

you probably just say to yourself: "Self, its invariant under Lorentz transformations, so its a scalar, aka (0,0) tensor"

however, as i have said a few times, any physical/geometric object is invariant, it is only the components which may not be invariant.

what makes the case of the volume form a little tricky is that, unlike the case of other tensors, the volume form only has one component. so that component must therefore be invariant, just like a scalar. in fact, using the physicists definition of a tensor, where a tensor is just a matrix which follows a particular set of transformation rules, then this is indistinguishable from a scalar; it is a 1x1 matrix that does not change under Lorentz transformations.

furthermore, the space of scalars is dual to the space of volume forms.

however, strictly speaking, the volume form is not a scalar, it is indeed a tensor. no harm will come of thinking of it like a scalar, but you do not integrate scalars, you integrate forms.

Hey, consistency in formalism should never go unrewarded. Turin you're right, it's a (0,4) tensor.

If you built it up as [itex] dx^0 \wedge dx^1 \wedge dx^2 \wedge dx^3 [/itex], then it alternates, i.e. [itex] dx^1 \wedge dx^0 \wedge dx^2 \wedge dx^3 [/itex], or any other exchange of the 1-forms, multiplies the volume by -1. A true scalar would have no dependence on the order.

Nonetheless, it has only the one component, so it tends to be thought of as a scalar. "Pseudoscalar" is a term sometimes used.

The naive volume element d[^n]x is itself a density rather than a n-form.A tensor density transform likes a tensor multiplate with the determinant. you can construct a invariant volume element by multiplying the naive volume element with the root of the determinant of the metric.
For more information see Chapter 2 Manifolds page 20 and 21 http://

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 4-volume tensor?

A 4-volume tensor is a mathematical object used in the field of physics to describe the behavior of physical quantities in four-dimensional space-time. It is a rank (0,0) tensor, meaning it has no indices and is a scalar quantity.

2. How is a 4-volume tensor different from other tensors?

A 4-volume tensor is different from other tensors in that it has no indices, while other tensors have one or more indices. This means that a 4-volume tensor does not transform under coordinate transformations and is invariant in all frames of reference.

3. What is the significance of a 4-volume tensor in physics?

A 4-volume tensor is significant in physics because it allows us to describe physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, in four-dimensional space-time. This is essential for understanding and solving problems in relativity and other areas of physics.

4. How is a 4-volume tensor used in general relativity?

In general relativity, a 4-volume tensor is used to describe the curvature of space-time due to the presence of mass and energy. It is a key component in Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy.

5. Can a 4-volume tensor be visualized or represented graphically?

No, a 4-volume tensor cannot be visualized or represented graphically because it is a scalar quantity with no indices. It is a mathematical concept used to represent physical quantities in four-dimensional space-time, and cannot be depicted in a two or three-dimensional format.