[Ubuntu Gnome] Not all custom icons are showing

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
In summary, there could be multiple reasons for custom icons not showing up on Ubuntu Gnome, such as incorrect installation or compatibility issues. To fix this, you can check the installation and switch to a different icon theme or update your version of Ubuntu Gnome. You can also add custom icons to the default icon theme by creating a new folder and updating the icon cache. If these solutions do not work, alternative options include using third-party icon managers like "gnome-tweak-tool" or "alacarte".
vincentm
I've downloaded and installed a custom icon theme, however not all are showing. :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you using Hardy Heron?
Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Ed Aboud said:
Are you using Hardy Heron?
Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Yes,
I've gone so far as to reformat my machine and do a clean "install" of the icon them, still same thing, perhaps it's not compatible with the latest version of Gnome.

1. Why are some of my custom icons not showing up on Ubuntu Gnome?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the icons are not properly installed or linked to the correct file path. Another possibility is that the icon theme you are using does not support all of your custom icons. It is also possible that there is a bug or compatibility issue with the version of Ubuntu Gnome you are using.

2. How can I fix the issue of missing custom icons on Ubuntu Gnome?

The first step is to check the installation of your custom icons and make sure they are linked to the correct file path. If that does not solve the issue, try switching to a different icon theme that supports your custom icons. You can also try updating your version of Ubuntu Gnome to see if any bugs or compatibility issues have been resolved in the latest update.

3. Can I add my own custom icons to the default icon theme on Ubuntu Gnome?

Yes, you can add your own custom icons to the default icon theme on Ubuntu Gnome. You will need to create a new folder in the icon theme directory and place your custom icons inside. Then, you will need to update the icon cache for the changes to take effect.

4. How do I update the icon cache on Ubuntu Gnome?

To update the icon cache on Ubuntu Gnome, open a terminal and enter the command "sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/". This will force the update of the icon cache and should make any new or updated icons appear in your icon theme.

5. Are there any alternative solutions for fixing the issue of missing custom icons on Ubuntu Gnome?

If the above solutions do not work, you can try installing a third-party icon manager such as "gnome-tweak-tool" or "alacarte". These tools allow for more customization of icons and may help resolve the issue of missing custom icons on Ubuntu Gnome.