Connection-oriented TCP

• Thread starter lostinxlation
  • Start date
In summary, TCP is a connection-oriented protocol that establishes a communication path between two ends and ensures that all data packets are received. This is achieved through back and forth communication between the two ends, making it a bit sophisticated compared to other connection-oriented protocols used in the data link layer.
lostinxlation
Hi

I was reading the network book the other day and it said TCP was a connection-oriented protocol, and I'm now puzzled with what connection-oriented means in this instance.

I understand what connetion-oriented means in general. In the data link layer, connection-oriented communication such as ATM, Frame-Relay and telephone conversation set up the communication path first, transfer the data along that path, and tear down the path after the data transfer is done. The data flows on the same path which is set up in advance. It's very clear what connection oriented means in such a case, but I can't see a clear picture about connection-oriented in transport layer, TCP.

TCP(or any transport layer entities) doesn't specify the communication path, right ? How could TCP be connection-oriented ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
lostinxlation said:
Hi

I was reading the network book the other day and it said TCP was a connection-oriented protocol, and I'm now puzzled with what connection-oriented means in this instance.

I understand what connetion-oriented means in general. In the data link layer, connection-oriented communication such as ATM, Frame-Relay and telephone conversation set up the communication path first, transfer the data along that path, and tear down the path after the data transfer is done. The data flows on the same path which is set up in advance. It's very clear what connection oriented means in such a case, but I can't see a clear picture about connection-oriented in transport layer, TCP.

TCP(or any transport layer entities) doesn't specify the communication path, right ? How could TCP be connection-oriented ?

TCP is a bit sophisticated protocol which ensures that all data packets are received. If some particular packet is lost TCP will ask the transmitting end to send it again until all packets are received in full. To accomplish this the two-ends have to talk to each other back and forth. In order to do that they have to be initialized that a TCP is to be used. That's why it's called connection-oriented.

1. What is the purpose of connection-oriented TCP?

Connection-oriented TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) is a reliable and connection-based method of data transfer over a network. Its purpose is to ensure the successful delivery of data between two endpoints, regardless of any potential network issues.

2. How does connection-oriented TCP establish a connection?

TCP uses a three-way handshake process to establish a connection between two devices. The client sends a SYN (synchronize) packet to the server, the server responds with a SYN-ACK (synchronize-acknowledgement) packet, and then the client sends an ACK (acknowledgement) packet to complete the connection.

3. What are the advantages of using connection-oriented TCP?

One of the main advantages of TCP is its reliability. It ensures that all data is successfully delivered and in the correct order. TCP also provides error checking and retransmission of lost or corrupted packets, making it ideal for applications that require the accurate delivery of data, such as file transfers and web browsing.

4. Can connection-oriented TCP be used for real-time applications?

While TCP is reliable, it is not suitable for real-time applications such as video conferencing or online gaming. This is because TCP has a built-in mechanism to ensure data is delivered in order, which can cause delays and interruptions in real-time applications. Instead, real-time applications use connectionless protocols like UDP (User Datagram Protocol) which prioritize speed over reliability.

5. Is connection-oriented TCP secure?

TCP itself does not provide any security measures, but it can be used in conjunction with other protocols such as TLS (Transport Layer Security) to create a secure connection. TLS encrypts the data being transmitted, ensuring that it cannot be intercepted or tampered with by unauthorized users.