Which bachelor degree is the best for dentistry ?

In summary, a 2nd year university student is considering pursuing dentistry, but is unsure which degree would be best. Mechanical engineering may be useful in this field, but is not essential.
a_man
I am a 2nd year university student. I want to go into dentistry after I get my bachelor but I am not sure which degrees would be the best for it.

I am thinking of mechanical engineering because material(silicons and metals) background is useful. Also, part of dentistry to make client's teeth so I think mechanical background would be helpful again.

Please let me know. As soon as I know what degrees to pursue, it would be life changing !

Physics news on Phys.org
a_man said:
I am a 2nd year university student. I want to go into dentistry after I get my bachelor but I am not sure which degrees would be the best for it.

I am thinking of mechanical engineering because material(silicons and metals) background is useful. Also, part of dentistry to make client's teeth so I think mechanical background would be helpful again.

Please let me know. As soon as I know what degrees to pursue, it would be life changing !
Dentists, at least in the US, do not make teeth or other prosthetics, that work is sent to labs that specialize in making them.

I would suggest that you find out more about which line of dentistry you wish to go into, family dentistry, cosmetic, periodontist, prostodontist, orthodontist, etc... and then speak to your school counselor to get suggestions for appropraite undergrad courses.

I don't see how mechanical engineering would be much useful to get into dentistry. My cousin is actually taking his DDS at the University of Toronto and got his degree in Biochemistry.

Here are the admission requirements for his school. No wonder he took biochemistry lol http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/DDSLit2011.pdf

You will also need to take a specific admission test before applying.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of schools offer Pre-dental programs, which are usually biology degrees.

NanjoeBot said:
A lot of schools offer Pre-dental programs, which are usually biology degrees.

I've always had a question about these pre- schools. They're suppose to prepare you for specific future studies, yet then how come there are often these stats showing that pre-meds and pre-law students are usually the ones that do worse at MCATs and LSATs respectively?

Sometimes it's interesting the breadth of questions that come up on these forums. One might wonder how physicists would be in a position to give advice about the entrance requirements for dentistry... but I guess there are a lot of students or previous students who have explored the options available to them.

Like medicine, for dentistry you generally don't need a specific degree to get in. Rather, you have to complete a set of prerequisite courses. These are likely to vary from school to school so it's worth your while to look them up at a few dentistry schools that you might be interested in attending and cover your bases. Beyond that, the degree is up to you.

Some people use a strategy of taking the easiest courses they can beyond the prerequisits to bump up their average and don't really care what they're learning so long as they get an A average.

Others look at the first degree as an an opportunity to establish a backup plan. Their path may not be as easy, but if they don't get into dentistry/medicine/law/grad school, they have a field they would be happy to enter - and sometimes even discover that other field is really where they belong anyway.

Choppy said:
Sometimes it's interesting the breadth of questions that come up on these forums. One might wonder how physicists would be in a position to give advice about the entrance requirements for dentistry... but I guess there are a lot of students or previous students who have explored the options available to them.

Like medicine, for dentistry you generally don't need a specific degree to get in. Rather, you have to complete a set of prerequisite courses. These are likely to vary from school to school so it's worth your while to look them up at a few dentistry schools that you might be interested in attending and cover your bases. Beyond that, the degree is up to you.

Some people use a strategy of taking the easiest courses they can beyond the prerequisits to bump up their average and don't really care what they're learning so long as they get an A average.

Others look at the first degree as an an opportunity to establish a backup plan. Their path may not be as easy, but if they don't get into dentistry/medicine/law/grad school, they have a field they would be happy to enter - and sometimes even discover that other field is really where they belong anyway.

Yeah, I agree with you on the last paragraph. I entered civil engineering because I want to do masters of architeture at UofT after I graduate from University of Waterloo.

But I think architeture is more close to art than engineering, and I am not really an artist.
Right now civil engineering is more of a backup plan, but it is not something I would like to do in the future.

Jokerhelper said:
Here are the admission requirements for his school. No wonder he took biochemistry lol http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/DDSLit2011.pdf

You will also need to take a specific admission test before applying.

Thank you so much. How did you find it ? I even contacted the UofT admission ppl and they did not even mention anything about this.

Is there I should know more if I want to go into dental school ?

I don't understand why someone would get a degree in something they don't like. That is just beyond me.

hadsed said:
I don't understand why someone would get a degree in something they don't like. That is just beyond me.

Because they know better in the 1st place. lol It is true and pretty common in many programs

Alright then. Have a nice life doing something you don't like.

a_man said:
Thank you so much. How did you find it ? I even contacted the UofT admission ppl and they did not even mention anything about this.

Is there I should know more if I want to go into dental school ?

http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/

1. What is the best undergraduate degree for dentistry?

The most common undergraduate degree for dentistry is a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology, as it provides a strong foundation in the sciences and prepares students for the rigorous coursework in dental school.

2. Can I pursue a bachelor's degree in any major before going to dental school?

Yes, you can pursue a bachelor's degree in any major before going to dental school. However, certain majors such as biology, chemistry, or biochemistry may better prepare you for the coursework and entrance exams required for dental school.

3. Is it necessary to have a bachelor's degree to get into dental school?

While most dental schools require applicants to have a bachelor's degree, there are some schools that accept students who have completed a certain number of undergraduate courses. It is important to research the specific requirements of the dental schools you are interested in applying to.

4. Are there any specific courses I should take as an undergraduate to prepare for dental school?

Most dental schools require applicants to have completed courses in biology, chemistry, physics, and other related sciences. It is also recommended to take courses in mathematics, English, and social sciences to develop critical thinking and communication skills.

5. Can I switch my major in the middle of my undergraduate studies if I decide to pursue dentistry?

Yes, you can switch your major in the middle of your undergraduate studies if you decide to pursue dentistry. However, it is important to make sure you have completed the necessary prerequisite courses for dental school. It may also take longer to complete your degree if you switch majors, so it is important to plan ahead and consult with an academic advisor.