How Do Newton's Laws Apply to Everyday Motion and Animal Adaptations?

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to physics. The first question involves a scenario where an apple is held on a bus traveling at 100 km/h and the speed of the apple is determined relative to the road and the person holding it. The second question explores the advantages of large flat soles on elephant feet and the hardness of antelope hooves. The conversation also briefly mentions the concepts of force, acceleration, and Newton's laws.
sodium40mg

Homework Statement

Sorry to bother, but I was working through some homework I haven't done (I put a * next to ones I didn't get and I just wanted to post them because I have no idea how to do them):

1. If you are on a bus that is traveling along a straight, level road at 100 km/h, you are traveling at 100 km/h too.

(a) If you hold an apple over your head, how fast is it moving relative to the road? Relative to you?
(b) If you drop the apple, does it still have the same horizontal motion?

2. What is the advantage of the large flat sole on the foot of an elephant? Why must the small foot (hoof) of an antelope be so hard?

Homework Equations

Zip! These be word problems.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (a) 100 km/h relative to road, 0 km/h relative to you
(b) I don't know about this one.

2. This doesn't even seem like a Newton's Law problem (hardness? what the?)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you drop the apple, what forces are acting on it? More specifically, are there any forces acting on the apple in the horizontal direction? How does force relate to change in velocity?

For 2) how much force is exerted on each of your feet while standing still? Does the answer change if you're standing on one toe of each foot? Would you rather stand on a single toe or your whole foot and why?

JaWiB said:
If you drop the apple, what forces are acting on it? More specifically, are there any forces acting on the apple in the horizontal direction? How does force relate to change in velocity?

For 2) how much force is exerted on each of your feet while standing still? Does the answer change if you're standing on one toe of each foot? Would you rather stand on a single toe or your whole foot and why?

1) Force of gravity. In the horizontal direction? I would think no horizontal forces? I don't know how force relates to change in velocity?

2) Does this have to do with Force = Pressure / Area? I think your weight divided into 2 and exerts on both your feet, one one foot it's weight divided by 1. I would rather stand on my whole feet because there's more area, which means less force that I have to exert on my feet? I don't know?

sodium40mg said:
1) Force of gravity. In the horizontal direction? I would think no horizontal forces? I don't know how force relates to change in velocity?
F = ma and a = change in velocity / time. Hence, if there is no force, there is no acceleration and there is no change in velocity.

2) Does this have to do with Force = Pressure / Area? I think your weight divided into 2 and exerts on both your feet, one one foot it's weight divided by 1. I would rather stand on my whole feet because there's more area, which means less force that I have to exert on my feet? I don't know?
Yup. So an elephant has big feet so that the force acts on a larger area. I wouldn't exactly call it a Newton's laws problem.

Hello,

I am happy to assist with your homework questions. First, I want to clarify that the content you have provided is not related to Newton's Laws, but rather basic principles of motion and biology. I suggest reviewing the relevant chapters in your textbook or seeking additional resources to better understand these concepts.

For the first question, it is important to understand the concept of relative motion. When you are on a bus traveling at 100 km/h, you are also moving at 100 km/h relative to the road. This means that any objects you hold or drop inside the bus will also be moving at 100 km/h relative to the road. However, since you are also moving at 100 km/h, the objects will appear to be stationary or moving slowly relative to you. Therefore, the apple will be moving at 100 km/h relative to the road and 0 km/h relative to you. When you drop the apple, it will still have the same horizontal motion as it is not affected by the bus's motion.

For the second question, the large flat sole on an elephant's foot provides stability and distributes its weight evenly, allowing it to support its heavy body. The small foot of an antelope must be hard in order to withstand the pressure and impact of running and jumping, as well as to protect its delicate hooves from sharp objects on the ground.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are the basis for classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate for a given force.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's Laws applied in real life?

Newton's Laws are applied in many aspects of everyday life, from the way objects move and interact with each other to the design and function of machines and vehicles. They are also essential for understanding the behavior of celestial bodies and the universe as a whole.