Time Sync Problems: Answers to Questions on Moving Train Synchronization

• Thread starter whereisnomar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the website discusses the synchronization of clocks on a moving train and the questions that arise from this concept. One question is why ct+vt is allowed to be added on the left-hand side of the first equation, despite the principle in Special Relativity that velocities cannot be added without considering dilation/contraction. Another question is what would happen if the train was stopped and the clocks were observed. It is explained that the clocks would not be synchronized due to the noninertial reference frame, but it is uncertain who would be considered correct in this scenario. It is suggested that synchronization only occurs at a specific velocity and would change if the velocity of the train changed.
whereisnomar
http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/synchronizing.html" the website talks about synchronizing clocks on a moving train. But I have a few questions about it:

1) Why are you allowed to add ct+vt on the left-hand side of the first equation below the picture of the train? I thought one of the main tenants of Special Relativity was that you can't add velocities (or I'd assume distances) without taking into account the dilation/ contraction of that quantity.

2) What would happen if you stopped the train, and then looked at what the clocks say? Would they be synchronized or not? I understand that the train would enter a noninertial reference frame, which would change how they behave, BUT wouldn't both clocks be affected equally... so who is right once the train is stopped- the person who says they're synchronized, or the person who says they're not?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
whereisnomar said:
http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/synchronizing.html" the website talks about synchronizing clocks on a moving train. But I have a few questions about it:

1) Why are you allowed to add ct+vt on the left-hand side of the first equation below the picture of the train? I thought one of the main tenants of Special Relativity was that you can't add velocities (or I'd assume distances) without taking into account the dilation/ contraction of that quantity.

2) What would happen if you stopped the train, and then looked at what the clocks say? Would they be synchronized or not? I understand that the train would enter a noninertial reference frame, which would change how they behave, BUT wouldn't both clocks be affected equally... so who is right once the train is stopped- the person who says they're synchronized, or the person who says they're not?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It didn't say that velocity is added, ct+vt is the distance which had been through a length contraction.

Though I didn't learned much of it, I don't think that the clock would be synchronized. Because according to the rest frame it is not synchronized even when the train is still moving, for different frames have different synchronization.

Last edited by a moderator:
So at what point would the person on the train see them leave synchronization, then?

schaefera said:
So at what point would the person on the train see them leave synchronization, then?

I think just when the train changes speed. Look at the time of rear and front, they depend on c+v and c-v, so when v changes time would change. Synchronization means when the two times are equal, but if they are equal at one v they got to be different when v changes.

Any other ideas?

1. What are time sync problems and why are they important to understand?

Time sync problems refer to discrepancies or inconsistencies in timing between different devices or systems. They are important to understand because accurate timing is crucial for many scientific and technological applications, such as data collection, communication, and navigation.

2. How do time sync problems occur?

Time sync problems can occur due to various reasons, such as differences in clock speeds, network delays, or human error in setting the time. They can also arise when devices or systems use different time measurement standards or protocols.

3. What is moving train synchronization and how does it work?

Moving train synchronization is a method used to synchronize clocks on a moving train with a reference clock on the ground. It involves adjusting the train's clock by taking into account its velocity and the time it takes for signals to travel between the train and the ground.

4. What challenges are involved in achieving accurate time synchronization on a moving train?

Accurate time synchronization on a moving train can be challenging due to factors such as varying train speeds, changing signal delays, and potential disruptions in communication between the train and the ground. Additionally, the accuracy of the reference clock on the ground is also crucial for achieving precise synchronization.

5. How are time sync problems being addressed in modern technology?

Modern technology has advanced significantly in addressing time sync problems. GPS technology, for example, uses atomic clocks on satellites to provide highly accurate time references for devices on the ground. Time synchronization protocols and algorithms have also been developed to ensure accurate timing in networks and systems. Additionally, research is ongoing to improve synchronization methods, such as using multiple reference clocks for better precision.