Modeling of Fluid(air) in ProE/ANSYS

• Thread starter adilsyyed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary: You can use the "Fluid Region" tool to create a closed surface, or use the "Fluid Region From Points" tool to create a region that is filled with fluid from a set of point sources.
adilsyyed
Hello.
I want to do a thermal analysis of a cabinet having air. Its the temperature distribution I am interested in.
How can I model air, and mesh it.
I am a newbie to ANSYS.
So actually the questions are
1. Can I model air in Pro E
2. Can I model/mesh it in ANSYS.
3. Do I need Ansys CFX?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Honestly if you're new to ANSYS and don't understand the concepts and tradeoffs of FEA in general, you and your company are better off paying a subcontractor to do the analysis. That being said:

1) You're better off using ANSYS Workbench since it can fill volumes for the purpose of a CFD or emag analysis. Simplification of the model is key though.

2) You're better off importing the model from Pro-E or some other fully-featured CAD package.

3) Yes, CFX is one of ANSYS' CFD packages and will be required for a coupled thermal/fluid analysis.

Last edited:
Agree with Mech_Engineer,

If you are working on HVAC project, Airpack will be a good choice. And you can find similar tutorials, for quick start.

Mech_Engineer said:
Honestly if you're new to ANSYS and don't understand the concepts and tradeoffs of FEA in general, you and your company are better off paying a subcontractor to do the analysis. That being said:

1) You're better off using ANSYS Workbench since it can fill volumes for the purpose of a CFD or emag analysis. Simplification of the model is key though.

2) You're better off importing the model from Pro-E or some other fully-featured CAD package.

3) Yes, CFX is one of ANSYS' CFD packages and will be required for a coupled thermal/fluid analysis.

Thank you for the detail reply. It really helps.

And I am a student and it is a project.
Now I am doing the analysis in ANSYS CFX.

But just out of curiosity, what steps would you follow if you would do it in ANSYS (not Workbench)?

ANSYS CFX is only the fluid mechanics part of the code; if you're wanting to do a coupled thermal analysis you're going to have to couple with ANSYS mechanical.

Honestly there's just no way to explain how to do set up the kind of problem you're proposing through an internet forum. You're going to have to look at example applications in the ANSYS help and/or take a course in solving coupled multiphysics problems using the software.

Mech_Engineer said:
ANSYS CFX is only the fluid mechanics part of the code; if you're wanting to do a coupled thermal analysis you're going to have to couple with ANSYS mechanical.

Honestly there's just no way to explain how to do set up the kind of problem you're proposing through an internet forum. You're going to have to look at example applications in the ANSYS help and/or take a course in solving coupled multiphysics problems using the software.

I have installed Ansys multiphysics + CFX.
I am using Pro-E to model, then import it to ANSYS CFX Mesher, then ANSYS CFX Pre-, Solver and Post.

Am I doing it right?

Last edited:
To answer your question about modeling air (or any fluid region) in Pro/E, you can. I make a new part (usually a rectangular or cylindrical solid) that is large enough to enclose my fluid region. I then insert that part to the relevant assembly, and use the "cutout" component operation to remove the intersecting volume of the solid parts from the fluid part. I then import the assembly (or just the fluid part if that's all I need) into ANSYS and go from there.

Alternatively, there are methods of creating fluid regions in ANSYS DesignModeler as well.

What is the purpose of modeling fluid (air) in ProE/ANSYS?

The purpose of modeling fluid (air) in ProE/ANSYS is to simulate and analyze the behavior of air in a specific environment or system. This can help engineers and scientists understand and optimize the performance of various products, such as airplanes, cars, and HVAC systems.

What is the difference between ProE and ANSYS for fluid modeling?

ProE, also known as Pro/ENGINEER, is a computer-aided design (CAD) software used for creating and designing 3D models. ANSYS, on the other hand, is a computer-aided engineering (CAE) software used for simulating and analyzing complex physical phenomena, such as fluid flow. While ProE can be used to create the geometry of a fluid system, ANSYS is specifically designed for fluid analysis and offers more advanced capabilities and tools for this purpose.

What are the major challenges in modeling fluid (air) in ProE/ANSYS?

The major challenges in modeling fluid (air) in ProE/ANSYS include accurately capturing the complex behavior of fluid flow, such as turbulence and boundary layer effects, and accurately representing the geometry and physical properties of the system being analyzed. Another challenge is ensuring that the simulation results are reliable and can be validated through experimental data.

What are some common applications of fluid modeling in ProE/ANSYS?

Some common applications of fluid modeling in ProE/ANSYS include aerodynamics and hydrodynamics of vehicles and structures, HVAC and ventilation systems, and the design of turbines and pumps. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and energy for product development and optimization.

What are the benefits of using ProE/ANSYS for fluid modeling?

The benefits of using ProE/ANSYS for fluid modeling include the ability to accurately simulate and analyze the behavior of fluid flow in a virtual environment, which can save time and resources compared to physical testing. It also allows for the optimization of designs and the identification of potential issues before the product is manufactured, leading to improved performance and cost savings. Additionally, ProE/ANSYS offers advanced visualization and analysis tools, making it easier to interpret and present the simulation results.