How do I stop email notifications of subscribed thread activity?

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, to prevent email notifications for updates to threads, you can go to your PF settings and options, then edit options and scroll to messaging and notifications. From there, you can change the notification type to "no email notification" for future threads, but for existing subscribed threads, you will have to manually unsubscribe by going to the thread, clicking "Thread Tools" and then "Unsubscribe from this thread". You can also resubscribe later if you wish. To change the subscription type for multiple threads at once, you can go to https://www.physicsforums.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all, check the box in the upper right to select all threads on that page, and then change the subscription type below
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
(Moderator's note: discussion moved from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=667649)

while you're tweaking --

how do i prevent the emails notifying me of updates to thread?
I found it once on my profile, but darned if i can again.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

jim hardy said:
how do i prevent the emails notifying me of updates to thread?
I found it once on my profile, but darned if i can again.
My PF, settings and options, edit options, scroll to messaging and notifications.

Be aware that once you change the settings, they are only applied to future threads that you post in or subscribe to. Existing subscribed threads will still generate email.

When you get an email about a previously-subscribed thread, you can go to the thread and click:
Unsubscribe from this thread​
Voila! No more email messages -- for that thread.

Then, if you want you may resubscribe -- so that the thread still appears in https://www.physicsforums.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all
Subscribe to this thread
Notification Type: No email notification (should be default)
Folder: Subscriptions (should be default)
and click Add Subscription​
You'll basically have to keep doing this to individual threads for a while, but the frequency of doing this will decrease as older threads seldom get posted to.

You can change the subscription type for threads in groups of 40 https://www.physicsforums.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription [Broken]: Check the upper right box (in the header of the table, this checks all threads on that page), and change the subscription type (below the table) to "no email notification".

You can remove all subscriptions at once, too, but then you don't have them in the control panel any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
mfb said:
You can change the subscription type for threads in groups of 40 ...
Wish I'd known about that 4 years ago :rolleyes:

1. How can I stop receiving email notifications for a specific thread?

To stop receiving email notifications for a specific thread, you can click on the "Unsubscribe" or "Stop receiving emails" link at the bottom of the email notification. This will remove you from the thread's subscription list and you will no longer receive notifications for that thread.

2. Can I customize the frequency of email notifications for subscribed threads?

Yes, you can customize the frequency of email notifications for subscribed threads. You can choose to receive immediate notifications, daily digests, or weekly digests. To change the frequency, go to your account settings and click on the "Notifications" tab. From there, you can select your preferred frequency for subscribed thread notifications.

3. How do I stop receiving all email notifications for subscribed threads?

If you no longer want to receive any email notifications for subscribed threads, you can go to your account settings and click on the "Notifications" tab. From there, you can uncheck the box next to "Receive email notifications for subscribed threads." This will stop all email notifications for subscribed threads.

4. I accidentally unsubscribed from a thread, how can I resubscribe?

No worries, you can easily resubscribe to a thread by clicking on the "Subscribe" or "Receive email notifications" link at the bottom of the thread's page. This will add you back to the subscription list and you will start receiving email notifications for that thread again.

5. Do I need an account to stop email notifications for subscribed threads?

Yes, you need to have an account to stop email notifications for subscribed threads. If you are not logged in, you will not have the option to unsubscribe or change notification settings. You can create an account for free by clicking on the "Sign Up" button on the website's homepage.