What do black holes look like?

In summary, according to this website, black is a color and black holes are visualized as having a lack of color.
DeeAytch
They have to have some color, yeah?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeeAytch said:

No, why would you think they have color when they are called "black"? To have color a thing has to radiate. Black holes may do Hawking Radiation but that certainly could not be called a color and they do not otherwise radiate (the ACCRETION DISK may radiate but that is outside the BH).

What DO they look like? They look like a hole in space. A black hole. See how simple some things are?

Yeah, you can't "see" one. The predominant colour, which comes from the accretion disc rather than the hole itself, is gamma/X-ray.

According to this website, black is a color.

ps. Black holes look like the http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/files/2012/05/Black_Hole_Milkyway.jpeg that smacked into my window this morning. I held her for at least half an hour before she flew away. She was quite stunned by her near instantaneous deceleration.

OmCheeto said:
According to this website, black is a color.

Clever, my son... fiendishly clever. You have, however, overlooked the cause of your doom. (Where is the smilie for wringing one's hands in evil glee?)
The colour or lack thereof regarding a black hole is irrelevant. Since it (the singularity) is literally a "mathematical point" of zero size, it is too small to be seen. :tongue:

Likes 1 person
A black hole singularity need not be a point, see Kerr black holes. With regards to its near thermal black body nature, see the discussion here: http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/61582/is-a-black-hole-a-perfect-black-body

A black hole has a very precise, mathematical definition which, unfortunately, will be too difficult to understand if you have never studied GR. This wiki article describes things rather well without using much math: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Properties_and_structure

Danger said:
Clever, my son... fiendishly clever. You have, however, overlooked the cause of your doom. (Where is the smilie for wringing one's hands in evil glee?)
The colour or lack thereof regarding a black hole is irrelevant. Since it (the singularity) is literally a "mathematical point" of zero size, it is too small to be seen. :tongue:

Unfortunately, I don't believe in "mathematical points" of zero size.

That would yield an infinity.

And I don't believe in that either.

And I need a new brain. The image of my birds eye looks nothing like a black hole...

pf.2013.05.26.0009.birds.eye.is.not.a.black.hole.jpg

DeeAytch said:

The top image from this website is '..a general relativistic visualization of a supercomputed magneto-hydrodynamic simulation of a disk and jet around a black hole.'-

http://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/intro.html

DeeAytch said:

All you need to know is that the milky way goes into a black hole. Just like..you know... :wink:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is due to the extreme compression of mass in a small space.

2. How do we know what black holes look like?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study black holes, including observing their effects on nearby objects and analyzing the radiation emitted from the accretion disk surrounding the black hole. Recently, the first image of a black hole was captured using the Event Horizon Telescope.

3. Do black holes have a shape?

Black holes are often depicted as perfect spheres, but in reality, they can have various shapes depending on their size and rotation. Small black holes are more likely to be spherical, while larger ones may be more oblong or flattened due to their rotation.

4. Can we see the inside of a black hole?

No, it is not possible to see the inside of a black hole because nothing, including light, can escape from it. Any information about the interior of a black hole is purely theoretical and cannot be observed directly.

5. Why are black holes black?

Black holes are black because their strong gravitational pull does not allow any light to escape. This means that they do not reflect or emit light, making them invisible to the naked eye. However, they can be detected through their effects on surrounding matter and radiation.