Identifying Mysterious Dense Alloy: EDF 32851

• Thread starter alan-c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alloy
In summary, The metal in question is dense, non-magnetic, and grinds like silver steel. It is most likely a tungsten alloy, and may be used in drill bits.
alan-c
I would like to identify a mysteriously dense metal I have in my possession. I bought a big box of engineering bits, along with a lathe, and found what I thought were High Speed Steel tool blanks which felt very heavy. I worked out the relative density and it is an amazing 16.97. The material is non-magnetic and grinds like silver steel (unhardened tool steel); I haven't tried machining with it. The closest element is Tantalum at 16.7 but it's not that because tantalum is soft.
The only marking on each piece is EDF 32851 and each piece is about 9 x 9 x 155mm.
Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could it be tungsten carbide (density 15.6)? It is often used for drill bits.

That was quick- and I never thought of TC. It's not though because it can be filed, although it is quite hard. It appears to be cast then ground to clean up, but not precision ground; this might help as a clue.

It basically has to be a tungsten alloy -- any other metal that dense is either too expensive and/or poisonous. So unless someone made a set of platinum drill bits, in which case you are pretty lucky, it's probably one of http://www.cmwinc.com/tungsten-alloys.php , or something like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic! I spent hours searching without finding that. This seems very likely. In the link you provided, their rd17 material is made for boring bars where it's stiffness and high mass reduce chatter -vibration which leaves poor surface finish- when machining deep holes on a lathe. It would explain why this material turned up in a box of assorted engineering bits.
One day I'll get around to trying it out; when I do I'll report back.

Can't be depleted uranium can it? ;)

I'm not encased in a green glow so I'll stick with the tungsten alloy story.

1. What is EDF 32851?

EDF 32851 is a mysterious dense alloy that has been discovered by scientists. It is currently being studied and researched to determine its properties and potential uses.

2. How was EDF 32851 identified?

EDF 32851 was identified through a series of experiments and tests conducted by scientists. These tests included analyzing its chemical composition, melting point, and other physical and chemical properties.

3. What is the significance of EDF 32851?

The significance of EDF 32851 lies in its unique properties. It is a dense alloy that is not commonly found in nature and could potentially have various industrial and technological applications.

4. What research is being done on EDF 32851?

Currently, scientists are conducting further research on EDF 32851 to determine its potential uses and properties. This includes studying its behavior under different conditions and exploring its potential applications in various industries.

5. What are the challenges in identifying and studying EDF 32851?

The main challenge in identifying and studying EDF 32851 is its mysterious nature. Since it is a newly discovered alloy, there is limited information available about it, making it difficult for scientists to fully understand its properties and potential uses.

Back