Comparison of DFB edge emitting laser vs. VCSEL

In summary, there is a need for a comprehensive comparison of DFB edge emitting lasers and VCSEL lasers, as existing literature seems to be biased towards one type or the other. The two reference articles provide a good overview of each type, but a review paper that includes both would be ideal. A Google search yielded a potential review paper and additional articles on Google Scholar. An industrial application article may also provide helpful insights.
Mindscrape
Does anyone know of an article that has a good in-depth, side by side comparison of DFB edge emitting lasers and VCSEL lasers? From my research it seems to me that the VCSEL papers are all trying to justify why laser production should shift towards VCSEL, and mostly list the advantages over an edge emitting laser; and, conversely, the edge emitting articles are all focused on some new improvement in edge emitting lasers and not competing with VCSEL. So, I'm trying myself to figure out the pros and cons between the two, but it would be great to have something reinforce what I've come up with.

Up until this point I've really only known crystal lasers, so I already know the general concepts of lasers, and I figured it's about time for me to get some knowledge in semiconductor lasers. I started with the basic Fabry-Perot edge emitting laser, and now learning about DFB and VCSEL lasers. I feel like a total laser noob right now. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
These two reference articles describe each type, and also describe some differences:
http://www.rp-photonics.com/distributed_feedback_lasers.html
http://www.rp-photonics.com/vertical_cavity_surface_emitting_lasers.html

What you need is a review paper which includes both DFB and VCSEL lasers. A Google search found:
http://orbit.dtu.dk/en/publications...502e-ca61-4968-8a88-51085e4befce)/export.html

There were more on Google Scholar.

This industrial application article may also be helpful:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/ph/p/id/125

1. What is the difference between DFB edge emitting laser and VCSEL?

DFB (Distributed Feedback) edge emitting lasers are traditional lasers that emit light perpendicular to the surface of the laser. VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) emits light parallel to the surface. This difference in orientation affects their mode of operation and applications.

2. Which one is more efficient, DFB or VCSEL?

In terms of efficiency, VCSELs have an advantage over DFB lasers. This is because VCSELs have a more circular output beam, allowing for easier coupling to optical fibers. They also have a lower threshold current and can be operated at higher currents without overheating, resulting in higher efficiency.

3. What are the main applications of DFB and VCSEL?

DFB lasers are commonly used in telecommunications, sensing, and spectroscopy applications. VCSELs, on the other hand, are used in data communication, optical interconnects, and 3D sensing technologies like facial recognition.

4. How do the costs of DFB and VCSEL compare?

DFB lasers are typically more expensive to manufacture than VCSELs. This is due to the complexity of the fabrication process and the need for precision in the design of the laser. VCSELs are simpler to produce, making them more cost-effective.

5. Which one is better for high-speed data communication, DFB or VCSEL?

VCSELs are better suited for high-speed data communication due to their lower threshold current and ability to operate at higher currents without overheating. They also have a more stable output beam, making them ideal for use in optical interconnects and high-speed data transmission.