Register to reply

What are Chemical Engineers?

by nst.john
Tags: chemical, engineers
Share this thread:
nst.john
Dec29-13, 09:36 PM
P: 112
Are Chemical engineers like applied chemists? Or are they more like mechanical or electrical engineers using their knowledge of chemistry to make things or processes? What tools do chemical engineers use, like tools to measure or tools to build, or both? What kind of things to chemical engineers create? Why are chemical engineers important if we already have chemists? I've looked up chemical engineers everywhere but it's simple and redundant, I want personalized and detailed answers to the questions that I have and I know this is the perfect place to go!

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
SteamKing
Dec29-13, 10:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,340
I think if you read the following article, you will get an idea of why chemical engineering is a useful field outside of practicing pure chemistry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_engineering
Chestermiller
Dec31-13, 10:04 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 5,067
Yes, in your own words, "they more like mechanical or electrical engineers using their knowledge of chemistry to make things or processes." Chemists are wonderful at figuring out how to produce chemicals and materials on the laboratory scale (in glass beakers, flasks, condensers, etc.). But on a manufacturing scale, you need to produce much larger quantities, and you simply can't safely and economically use 10 million beakers, flasks, condensers, etc. to produce a product stream. You need to use large scale equipment like vats, chemical reactors, huge distillation columns, etc. These devices do not allow for adding and removing heat and for purifying materials on the large scale in any way as easily as in a small beaker of lab scale distillation, for example. Chemical engineers are often involved in applying the laws of physical chemistry, thermodynamics, and transport phenomena to designing and operating very large scale processing equipment for chemical processes to produce chemicals and other materials.

Wellesley
Jan1-14, 09:49 AM
P: 276
What are Chemical Engineers?

Quote Quote by nst.john View Post
Are Chemical engineers like applied chemists? Or are they more like mechanical or electrical engineers using their knowledge of chemistry to make things or processes? What tools do chemical engineers use, like tools to measure or tools to build, or both? What kind of things to chemical engineers create? Why are chemical engineers important if we already have chemists? I've looked up chemical engineers everywhere but it's simple and redundant, I want personalized and detailed answers to the questions that I have and I know this is the perfect place to go!

Thanks!
Depending on your career desires the amount of chemistry used daily can approach zero. We work in oil&gas, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, breweries, manufacturing, R&D, power plants (energy), etc.

Often, ChemE's are charged with maintaining the fixed (and expected) output of a facility despite any problems occurring with operation. I.e. a refinery has a fouled heat exchanger - how do you adjust other things to still get the same output required by customers.
nst.john
Jan2-14, 09:10 PM
So what engineering skills do they have? Like knowledgebin circuits and mechanics? I mean what would they know how to build if I got say a bachelor's and going for a master's. What could I know how to build whether chemical engineering related or not
Wellesley
Jan4-14, 12:07 PM
So what engineering skills do they have? Like knowledgebin circuits and mechanics? I mean what would they know how to build if I got say a bachelor's and going for a master's. What could I know how to build whether chemical engineering related or not
Typically you take quite a bit of thermodynamics and chemistry, but also: fluid mechanics (pumps/fluid flow), mass transfer (distillation column design and operation), heat transfer (heat exchangers), reactor design, process controls and senior design.

So to answer your question: it's a little bit of everything. No circuits or learning the complex portions of designing a diesel engine, but enough where you can understand the bigger picture of what's going on in a plant environment. You can design and understand (on a basic level) - pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, furnaces, distillation columns, reactors, absorber/strippers, flash tanks, vessels.

However, a Masters degree in ChemE probably won't help too much unless you want to do R&D.
nst.john
Jan4-14, 12:44 PM
Ok. And what would the work environment be and what tools/things would I be interacting with in R&D
Wellesley
Jan4-14, 05:37 PM
Ok. And what would the work environment be and what tools/things would I be interacting with in R&D
Beats me. I'm not going to grad school. Going into pharmaceuticals usually requires at least a masters. Otherwise R&D could be industry specific. Developing new techniques for a refinery, etc. New drills for oil companies. Theoretical simulations versus fixing actual problems
nst.john
Jan4-14, 05:46 PM
I see. Thanks this helps a lot.

Register to reply