Register to reply

Analyzing a Multi-storey multi-bay frame subjected to lateral load

Share this thread:
median27
Jan5-14, 07:08 AM
P: 60
What is the best/easiest method I can use to get the deflections of a 5-storey, 3-bay frame subjected to lateral loads only? I've used the Elemental stiffness matrix for two-dimensional frame analysis (giving me a 60 x 60 matrix) but I'm getting the wrong deflection values. I think my procedure is erroneous because I've only referred to a single storey, single bay frame example in the book. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
AlephZero
Jan5-14, 10:46 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,965
The method you used is OK, so you must have made a mistake somewhere.

The "easiest" way is use a finite element analysis computer program instead of setting setting up the stiffness matrix yourself - but if the objective is to learn how the FE method works, not to design a building, then you do need to work through the details yourself.
nvn
Jan5-14, 01:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,123
median27: I am not sure what the "Elemental stiffness matrix for two-dimensional frame analysis" method is, unless it is just the finite element method. The best and easiest method is the finite element method. Are all of your connections moment connections? Are all of your applied loads nodal applied loads, not uniformly-distributed loads? Do you have a finite element analysis software program? Is this a school assignment, or test question?

Register to reply