Radon-226 Decay: Half-Life of Radium-226

• Thread starter vanceEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, Radium-226 has a half-life of 1,620 years, which means that half of a given sample of radium-226 will decay into lead by the end of 1,620 years. In the next 1,620 years, half of the remaining sample will decay into lead, leaving one-fourth of the original amount of radium-226.
vanceEE
"Radium-226 has a half-life of 1,620 years, which means that half of a given sample of radium-226 will decay into lead by the end of 1,620 years. In the next 1,620 years, half of the remaining sample will decay into lead, leaving one-fourth of the original amount of radium-226."(1)

Wouldn't half of the Radium-226 decay into Radon-222 instead of Lead? I am new to this but my previous knowledge of decay from Physics tells me that Radium would would first decay to Radon by the end of 1,620 years which can be described by the equation below:
[itex]\stackrel{226}{86}Ra→ \stackrel{222}{84}Rn + \stackrel{4}{2}He[/itex]

Is (1) a misprint or am I missing the half-life concept?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The main branch daughters of radium are:
radium emanation, half-life 3,8 days
radium A, 3,1 minutes
radium B (lead 214) 27 minutes
radium C 20 minutes
radium C' 165 microseconds
radium D (lead 210) 22,2 years
radium E 5 days
radium F 138,4 days
The final product, stable radium G, is lead 206.
So all non-lead daughters of radium have a combined half-life of under 148 days. Over the 1600 year half-life of radium, almost all that has decayed into radium emanation has gone on to lead.

I think it should be more like

^{226}_{\phantom{0}88}Ra \rightarrow {}^{222}_{\phantom{0}86}Ba + ^{4}_{2}He

Edit: this is wrong, idiotic mistake. See below.

What they mean is most likely that there is a long decay chain which ends with Pb. If most steps are faster, that's effectively as if the Ra was decaying into Pb with a given half life.

Last edited:
Borek said:
I think it should be more like

[tex]^{226}_{\phantom{0}88}Ra \rightarrow {}^{222}_{\phantom{0}86}Ba + ^{4}_{2}He[/tex]

Are you really sure about Barium?

Sigh, I copy pasted nice LaTeX from another post - and I corrected atomic masses, but got distracted and left Ba from the original code :redface:

[tex]^{226}_{\phantom{0}88}Ra \rightarrow {}^{222}_{\phantom{0}86}Rn + ^{4}_{2}He[/tex]

:-)
How about
[tex]\mathrm{^{226}_{\phantom{0}88}Ra \rightarrow {}^{222}_{\phantom{0}86}Rn + ^{4}_{2}He}[/tex]?

1. What is Radon-226 decay and why is it important to study?

Radon-226 decay is the process by which the radioactive isotope radium-226 breaks down and releases energy in the form of radiation. It is important to study because radon-226 is a known carcinogen and can accumulate in homes and other buildings, posing a health risk to those exposed.

2. What is the half-life of Radium-226 and what does it mean?

The half-life of Radium-226 is 1,600 years. This means that in 1,600 years, half of the original amount of radium-226 will have decayed into other elements. This decay process continues until all of the radium-226 has been transformed into other elements.

3. How does radon-226 decay occur?

Radon-226 decay occurs through a process called alpha decay, where the nucleus of the atom emits an alpha particle (a cluster of two protons and two neutrons) and transforms into a different element. This process continues until a stable, non-radioactive element is reached.

4. What factors can affect the rate of radon-226 decay?

The rate of radon-226 decay is not affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions. It is a random process that occurs at a constant rate, regardless of external conditions.

5. How is radon-226 decay used in practical applications?

Radon-226 decay is used in various fields, such as nuclear medicine and geology. In nuclear medicine, radionuclides such as radon-226 are used in diagnostic imaging and cancer treatment. In geology, the half-life of radon-226 is used to determine the age of rocks and other materials. Additionally, the presence of radon-226 in homes and buildings can be monitored to ensure safe levels and prevent health risks.