Register to reply

Linus Pauling's General Chemistry

by cseal
Tags: chemistry, linus, pauling
Share this thread:
cseal
May15-14, 12:07 PM
P: 2
Is anyone able to comment on the crystalline structures in the second chapter? Copper's cubic unit of structure is described as a face-centered cubic arrangement with atoms at coordinates 0,0,0; 0,1/2,1/2; 1/2,0,1/2; 1/2,1/2,0.

The iron cubic unit of structure is described as a body-centered arrangement. There are two atoms in the unit at coordinates 0,0,0 and 1/2, 1/2, 1/2.

Also, what am I supposed to gather from the stereoscopic image? I'm having trouble imagining this spatially even with the diagrams.

Most of the above is a direct quote from p25 in the Dover republication of General Chemistry.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists create nanofibers using unprecedented new method
Nanostructured metal-oxide catalyst efficiently converts CO2 to methanol (w/ Video)
Researchers discover low-grade nonwoven cotton picks up 50 times own weight of oil
UltrafastPED
May18-14, 10:31 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
You can view the crystal structures here:
http://www.webelements.com/copper/cr...structure.html
cseal
May20-14, 10:50 AM
P: 2
Thanks for the response. The difference between the face-centered and body-centered cubic units were troubling me. I referenced my general chemistry text for a more elementary explanation than Pauling's.

Register to reply