What are some unique senior project ideas in the field of physics?

In summary, the protagonist is looking for a good project topic for a senior project and comes up with the idea of researching the range and height of a projectile using water jets for different velocities.
thegreenone63
Hey,
I am supposed to do a senior project over any subject so I decided why not do it on something I love, Physics. My only problem is I don't really have any good ideas for what my project should be based on. I thought about doing the unrealistic aspects of movies that are based on physics. Such as when a guy is shot with a shot gun and magically flys backward 20 feet. Does anyone have any ideas for a good project topic? :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
let see...is this example ok?
In many sci-fi movie it is shown that the hero or heroine escape from the fatal laser beam. But it is impossible to do so as no one can travel faster than light.

thegreenone63 said:
Hey,
I am supposed to do a senior project over any subject so I decided why not do it on something I love, Physics. My only problem is I don't really have any good ideas for what my project should be based on. I thought about doing the unrealistic aspects of movies that are based on physics. Such as when a guy is shot with a shot gun and magically flys backward 20 feet. Does anyone have any ideas for a good project topic? :shy:

As you have come out an idea of that kind I propose that you may try to find out the range and heightof a projectile using water jets for different velocities.

You could investage the physics of the bus on the well known movie "Speed".

sped.jpe

You could go on to explain how unrealisic it is and what would need to be changed in order for the event to be completed (i.e. road inclination, speed, road level etc.)

I recall several other movies where bad physics play a big role. Here are a few:

The Day After Tomorrow - This movie claims super cooled air can freeze objects in seconds, I would be more concerned about the air liquifying.

The Core - Full of errors, a metal that increases strength with heat and pressure being the main one.

Good ideas. I want to have a wide variety of movies so any more suggestions, especially specific ones, are greatly appreciated. Incase this particular project idea is slashed, does anyone have any other kind of project ideas. Thanks!

What is a senior physics project?

A senior physics project is a research-based project typically completed by high school seniors in their final year of physics coursework. It allows students to apply their knowledge and skills to investigate a specific topic of interest within the field of physics.

What are some ideas for senior physics projects?

There are many potential ideas for senior physics projects, depending on the interests and skills of the student. Some ideas could include investigating the properties of different materials, exploring renewable energy sources, or studying the principles of motion and forces.

How long does a senior physics project typically take to complete?

The length of time it takes to complete a senior physics project can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the amount of time the student is able to dedicate to it. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to complete.

Do senior physics projects require specialized equipment?

It depends on the specific project idea. Some projects may require specialized equipment, such as a spectrometer or oscilloscope, while others can be completed with common household items or materials available at school. It is important to choose a project that is feasible with the resources available.

What are the benefits of completing a senior physics project?

Completing a senior physics project can have many benefits, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, gaining a deeper understanding of physics concepts, and improving research and communication skills. It can also be a great way to explore a potential career in science or engineering.