Partial Pressure Problem: 3 Tanks, H2, N2, CO2 - Total Pressure 5.5 atm

In summary, the temperature is constant in a closed system consisting of three tanks with different volumes and pressures of H2, N2, and CO2. The system is then opened and the partial pressures of each gas are given. The total pressure of the system is found by adding all the partial pressures together, which in this case is 5.5 atm. However, if the tanks are opened and allowed to mix, the partial pressures would be calculated using the equation P1V1 = P2V2 and solving for P2 for each tank. The presence of a non-volatile liquid in one of the tanks may affect the volume used in the calculation.
VinnyCee
Temperature is constant.

At first, this system is closed.

In tank one:

A 2 Liter tank containing H2 at a pressure of 1.5 atmospheres.

In tank two:

A 1 Liter tank containing N2 at a pressure of 3 atmospheres.

In tank three:

A 4 Liter tank containing CO2 at a pressure of 1 atmosphere. Also, a non-volatile liquid covers the bottom 1.67 Liters.

The system is then opened. What is the TOTAL PRESSURE in the opened system, and the PARTIAL PRESSURE of each gas?

I would think that the problem gives the partial pressures already, right?

So partial of H2 = 1.5 atm, N2 = 3 atm and CO2 = 1 atm

And just add all the pressures together to get 5.5 atm as the total pressure?

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vinny Cee, I don't understand the question. By "system is opened", do you mean that the system is opened to the atmosphere? Or do you mean that the three tanks are opened and allowed to mix?

I'm assuming the tanks are opened and allowed to mix, in which case you're answer is incorrect, VinnyCee.

Edit:

I believe you have to use the P1V1 = P2V2 and solve for P2 for each of the three tanks (using the total volume as V2) and then figure things out from there. However, I don't know exactly what to do with the third tank and its non-volatile liquid. Unless, you simply use the volume of 2.33 L instead of 4 L. According to my assumption, the total pressure would end up being 1.56 atm. and the partial pressures would be .563, .563, and .437.

I'll let someone else take this one =).

Last edited:

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by an individual gas in a mixture of gases. It is equal to the total pressure multiplied by the mole fraction of that gas.

2. How do you calculate partial pressure?

To calculate the partial pressure of a gas, you need to know the total pressure of the system and the mole fraction of that gas. You can then multiply the total pressure by the mole fraction to get the partial pressure of that gas.

3. What is the total pressure in this problem?

The total pressure in this problem is 5.5 atm.

4. How do you find the mole fraction of a gas?

The mole fraction of a gas can be found by dividing the moles of that gas by the total moles of all gases in the system.

5. Can the partial pressure of a gas be greater than the total pressure?

No, the partial pressure of a gas cannot be greater than the total pressure. The sum of all partial pressures in a system must equal the total pressure.