Can I Learn Calculus in Time for My College Major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the person is considering taking a math course in college in order to be able to learn calculus. They found a website that has lessons on calculus and they believe that they will be able to do well on the quiz or test at the end of each lesson.
GiTS
I've been worrying about this for a long time. I like physics, alot, but I've never been very good at math. Infact, I'm horrible at math. I've been debating whether I should choose physics or engineering as a major when I go to college this fall even though I know it's going to involve taking math courses and a calculus based physics. I don't even know what calculus is. Although I believe if you work hard enough at something you can accomplish your goals I don't think it's always possible to accomplish those goals in the time required. If I can't learn the course material before the test on it I'll fail. I just need some way of knowing I'd be able to learn math , specifically calculus, in time. Does anyone have good advice on how i could be able to test my ability to learn calculus in the nessecary amount of time? What other math would I end up needing to learn to major in physics or engineering? And how do you know when to use special mathmatical formulas for equations, like using the quadratic formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you understand physics well, then you must understand some of calculus as they are not very different. you just need to take the course from the right teacher.

It goes both directions - some people just don't get calculus until they take a calc-based physics course, then they get the physical interpretation of what the calculus means. On the other hand there are those who need to know the math and the theorems and so on in order to really understand the derivations in physics (especially E&M)

If you don't feel comfortable with calculus, then by all means take pre-calculus or even an algebra course when you get to college.

The mathematics courses that will be required from you if you study engineering are:

Calculus 1 (Differential)
Calculus 2 (Integral)
Calculus 3 (Multivariable)
Differential Equations
Probability and Statistics
Linear Algebra
Discrete Math (Only at some schools, mostly for Computer Engineers)

Those are the math classes that I have taken as an EE. Perhaps a physicist will be able to tell you what classes you will need to take as a physics major.

Good luck.

Hi even though I'm only 16 and new to this forum, I thought I could help you out with your calculus problem. You see I'm going to take pre-cal pre-ap my junior year after this summer and take calculus AP in my senior year. Well I thought why not get a head start and start learning calculus on the internet during the summer. Well I finally came across this site. It has lessons on almost all the subjects on calculus. It is Flash based. And each lesson teaches at the beginning and at the end has a Quiz or a test to see if you comprehend the lesson. There are 68 lessons. Here is the link.

http://www.waybuilder.net/free-ed/Math/Calculus/Calc02_NROC.asp

Hope this helps as much as it helps me. :)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it is important to consider your interests, skills, career goals, and academic strengths. You should also research job market trends and potential salary prospects for different majors.

2. How do I know which major is right for me?

The best way to determine which major is right for you is to explore your interests and strengths. Consider taking a variety of classes in different subject areas to see what you enjoy and excel in. You can also talk to academic advisors, career counselors, and professionals in fields you are interested in.

3. Can I change my major once I have already declared one?

Yes, you can usually change your major even after declaring one. However, it may result in taking additional courses or spending more time in college. It is important to carefully consider your decision and talk to an advisor before making a change.

4. What if I am not sure what career I want to pursue?

It is completely normal to not have a specific career goal in mind when choosing a major. In this case, focus on choosing a major that aligns with your interests and strengths. You can also explore internships and volunteer opportunities to gain experience and clarity on your career goals.

5. How will my major affect my job prospects?

Your major can play a role in your job prospects, but it is not the only determining factor. Employers also value skills, experience, and personal qualities. However, some majors may have more direct career paths than others, so it is important to research job market trends and potential career options for your chosen major.