Most Annoying Commercials

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary: I don't remember anything particularly bad this year, sorry!In summary, the Head On! Apply directly to the head! commercials are annoying and their product is not worth it.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Head On! Apply directly to the head! (repeat about 25 times in 30 seconds)

Activon! Apply directly where it hurts! (repeat until viewers bang their head against the wall)

Oh, please, please, PLEASE don't come out with a hemorrhoid treatment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you ok bob?

I was going to ask the same thing.

Bob, back away from the tv. Slowly. Don't look back.

You folks haven't seen these commercials! They make you want to do things you didn't think yourself capable of.

I haven't watched tv since my cable box died 4 months ago. I've been too busy to get it replaced.

BobG said:

Activon! Apply directly where it hurts! (repeat until viewers bang their head against the wall)

I hate that commercial too :grumpy:

That's exactly the way I feel about essentially everything in television programming, so you've got no sympathy from me, you crazy TV addicts.

Rach3 said:
That's exactly the way I feel about essentially everything in television programming, so you've got no sympathy from me, you crazy TV addicts.

I gave up tv when i moved to my cott, and i do not miss it one iota, i bet most people switch the box on out of habbit more than any desire to watch
anything.

So i challenge every one to do without tv for 24hrs and see if you can live without it.

Regarding annoying commercials are concerned, those "Countrywide Insurance" ones are far too long //

wolram said:
I gave up tv when i moved to my cott, and i do not miss it one iota, i bet most people switch the box on out of habbit more than any desire to watch
anything.

So i challenge every one to do without tv for 24hrs and see if you can live without it.
I use TV as a sleep inducer. I got rid of my cable connection when I realized I had little to no time for TV. As of now, the TV is mostly on when I'm asleep!

Hell, my girlfriend and I watch maybe two hours of TV a week, and even I've seen those Head On commercials a time or two. They're just everywhere -- and annoying. But, it sure seems their tactic has succeeded, because here we are talking about them...

- Warren

Hmm...I've never heard of it until this thread. I'm pretty oblivious of commercials though. Heck, I'm pretty oblivious to most of what's on TV...every once in a while I look up and try to identify which show is on and flip channels for a bit, then return to what I was doing that was distracting me from actually watching.

I have not seen that commercial. What an annoying bit. I still don't know what the product is for.

My most annoying commercials right now are Sharper Image's Ionic Breeze. I wish Consumers Reports had a review commercial to play right after them.

The most annoying adverts over here for me at least are those damned car commercials(is it for vaxhaul,can't remember, there see I have no idea what your selling) where they "cleverly" transpose the role of the parents and the kids, who are mature and wise and the parents are eratic and emotional, and here's why.

1) it's not big and it's not clever

2) It's not funny

3) I don't care if they are overtired your 10, act your bloody age and go smash some plates :rolleyes:

I really really really hate that advert:mad: when I first saw it I was like you ok but crap, now I have to turn over or my head boils!

A friend who did some research on advertising told me that one of the companies he asked about adverts had told him the idea in advertising was either to write an add everyone loved or write one everyone hated, as long as it stuck with them that's all that counts; the worst advert ever written in this case is that one about erm... no it's gone? Anyway you get my rather obvious point :smile:

Last edited:
@schrodinger's dog: that is a good advert

I hate the one for Carcraft, the one as a musical, it just gets on my %"&^*£'s its just soo anoying

theres others

i like the new Pizza Hut: "nine pounds and ninety nine little penies"
great!

i also hate ther Frostys advert, aggggggggghhhh! its so bad

Ok there have been worse(it's mainly the fact this advert has been shown a hundred million times on every channel in existence for the last 9 months that it is just so annoying), like the milky bar kid adverts, when I was I kid I found these patheticly twee and patronising, lord knows what I'd think of them now. Worst advert in history though? I saw a great american advert the other day, it was for pepsi I think and it involved the scene from Spartacus, you know I'm Sparticus, no I'm Sparticus and the Roman guard goes nah I'm sparticus, you have to have seen it pretty funny :smile:

Crap I just remebered it's the new Vauxhall Saffira, Oh no I am under there control, quick get me a voodoo fetish, I need protection!

neutrino said:
Curiousity will kill just about anyone...I need Headon now since I banged my head against the wall after watching the commercial.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE&search=activon commercial
Hmmm. As annoying as it may be, it may come in handy some times.

[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

Edit: The other 'head on' videos are kind of interesting, especially this one: [PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube[/URL]. It shows the car damage and the driver's injuries. Check out the face, chest, and shoulder of the driver - those seat belts really dig into the flesh in accidents like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you ever see the one with the birt landing on a car bonet, the bonet flips up and the bird goes flying. i think it was a ford advert

BobG said:

Arrgh! No!

From Miralus, makers of Head-On:
http://www.medichest.com/freedhemhemorrhoidalcr.html

There's a commercial on YouTube for it, but it has to be a parody.

As is this one, but at least it's an improvement on the original:

[MEDIA=youtube]ZSIDHZpZmxA[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL]

BobG said:
There's a commercial on YouTube for it, but it has to be a parody.

As is this one, but at least it's an improvement on the original:

[MEDIA=youtube]ZSIDHZpZmxA[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=[/URL][/QUOTE]
AGHHH! That ran my cat out of the room.

All of those oxyclean(sp?) things. are YOU!@@!#@!# on the ball?!??!?

and the "Hi, I am the guy who gives away the free computer:" BLAHFLKGHBDSFKLJDSKLFJDSKLJDSFKLJL:!KJKL!J#@E SHUT UP! The computer professor dude or whatever he calls himself. Selling those computer guide things...grr

moose said:
and the "Hi, I am the guy who gives away the free computer:" BLAHFLKGHBDSFKLJDSKLFJDSKLJDSFKLJL:!KJKL!J#@E SHUT UP! The computer professor dude or whatever he calls himself. Selling those computer guide things...grr
I hate that guy too

1. What makes a commercial annoying?

A commercial can be considered annoying for various reasons, including excessive repetition, loud or obnoxious sounds, irrelevant or offensive content, and interrupting the viewing experience. Ultimately, annoyance is subjective and can vary from person to person.

2. Why do companies continue to air annoying commercials?

Companies may continue to air annoying commercials because they believe it will grab people's attention and create a memorable impression. Additionally, some companies may not have the budget to create new commercials, so they continue to use the same annoying ones.

3. Can annoying commercials actually be effective?

While many people may find annoying commercials to be a nuisance, they can still be effective in terms of brand recognition and recall. People may remember the product or company being advertised, even if they do not have a positive association with the commercial itself.

4. How do companies decide which commercials to air?

Companies may use market research and focus groups to test different commercials before deciding which ones to air. They may also consider the target audience and the message they want to convey. However, there is no guarantee that a commercial will not be perceived as annoying by some viewers.

5. Can viewers do anything to stop annoying commercials?

Viewers can choose to change the channel or mute the television when an annoying commercial comes on. They can also provide feedback to the company or network airing the commercial, although this may not necessarily lead to changes in the advertising. Some streaming services also offer ad-free options for a fee.