Power series method for DE

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a power series solution for a given differential equation and how to determine the arbitrary constants in the solution. It is noted that for a first order linear DE, one should expect to find one arbitrary constant. The general solution for the given equation is also mentioned.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Question: Find a power series solution in powers of x for the following differential equation

[tex] xy' - 3y = k [/tex]

My attempt:
Assume
[tex] y = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} a_m x^m [/tex]

So,
[tex] xy' = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty}m a_m x^m [/tex]

[tex] xy'-3y-k=0 [/tex]

implies

[tex] \sum_{m=0}^{\infty}m a_m x^m - 3\sum_{m=0}^{\infty} a_m x^m - k = 0 [/tex]

and

[tex] \left(a_1x+2a_2x^2 +3a_3x^3 +... \right) - \left(k + 3a_0 + 3a_1x+3a_2x^2+3a_3x^3+... \right) = 0[/tex]

Which means

[tex] a_0=-k/3 [/tex]
[tex]a_1-3a_1=0, a_1=0 [/tex]
[tex]2a_2-3a_2=0, a_2=0 [/tex]
[tex]3a_3 - 3a_3=0, a_3=? [/tex]
[tex]... a_n=0, n>3 [/tex]

The Question: Now, how do I find [tex] a_3 [/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It could be anything-substitute back.

0rthodontist said:
It could be anything-substitute back.

Of course.What was I thinking? I think my brain degenerated over the summer hols :frown:
Thanks for the help.

Just to add to this, for a n'th order linear DE you should expect to find n arbitrary constants. So it shouldn't be too surprising that one of the coeffiecients is arbitrary given that this is a first order linear DE.

nocturnal said:
Just to add to this, for a n'th order linear DE you should expect to find n arbitrary constants. So it shouldn't be too surprising that one of the coeffiecients is arbitrary given that this is a first order linear DE.

Perfect!

In fact the general solution for the given equation has the form

[tex]y = C x^3 - \frac{k}{3}[/tex].

i got the same question; but i am not sure that the general solution is a power series representation

1. What is the power series method for solving differential equations?

The power series method is a technique used to find a series solution for a differential equation. It involves expressing the solution as an infinite sum of terms with increasing powers of the independent variable.

2. When is the power series method used?

The power series method is typically used when a differential equation cannot be solved using traditional methods such as separation of variables or substitution. It is also useful for solving non-linear differential equations.

3. How does the power series method work?

The power series method involves substituting a power series into the given differential equation and then determining the coefficients of each term by equating coefficients of like powers of the independent variable. The solution is then obtained by summing all of the terms in the series.

4. What are the advantages of using the power series method?

One advantage of the power series method is that it can provide an exact solution for a differential equation, unlike numerical methods which may only provide an approximation. It is also a useful tool for solving non-linear equations that may not have an analytical solution.

5. Are there any limitations to the power series method?

One limitation of the power series method is that it can only be used for equations with initial conditions at a singular point. It is also not suitable for solving differential equations with large oscillations or discontinuities in the solution.