Circular motion with friction and banking - resultant forces

In summary: There are 4 of them:1. The weight, acting downwards, with a magnitude of mg.2. The normal force Fn, acting upwards, with a magnitude of mg/cosΘ.3. The friction force Fk, acting tangentially to the circular track, with a magnitude of µ*Fn.4. The centripetal force Fc, acting towards the center of the circular track, with a magnitude of mv²/r.Now, to calculate the magnitude of the resultant force, we can sum up all these forces using vector addition. However, since the motion is in a circle, we can use the formula (mv²)/r for Fc, as mentioned before. This gives us the following equation:Result
exi

Homework Statement

A car travels 76 m/s around a circular track with a 111 m radius.

The car's mass is 2500 kg, the track is angled at 21°, and the coefficient of friction is 0.18.

What is the magnitude of the resultant force on the car and driver, expressed as kN?

The Attempt at a Solution

Double-checking my work here to see if I'm understanding this correctly.

If:
Fk = µ*Fn
Fn = mg/cosΘ
Fc = mv²/r

Then:
Fc = 130090.09 N
Fk = 4723.75 N

Which leaves me with two questions: Is the above correct, and what am I leaving out of the forces before summing them?

editing this to add: I've gotten a series of formulas that produce the correct answer, but I do not know where they are derived from. If anyone could help explain this, I'd appreciate it.

1. [tex]A = \frac {m(v^2cos\theta - grsin\theta)}{r}[/tex]

2. [tex]B = \frac {mg + Asin\theta}{cos\theta}[/tex]

3. [tex](\mbox{Answer expressed in kN}) = \frac {Acos\theta + Bsin\theta}{1000}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're going around your butt to get to your elbow. ;-)

If an object is moving in uniform circular motion, the NET force on that object must be equal to (mv^2)/r. You have this value recorded as Fc. You should note that Fc is NOT a single force, but rather is the NET force on the object in question.

The three formulas you've listed end up spitting out the exact same value as Fc, although in a very convoluted way.

CaptainZappo said:
You're going around your butt to get to your elbow. ;-)

If an object is moving in uniform circular motion, the NET force on that object must be equal to (mv^2)/r. You have this value recorded as Fc. You should note that Fc is NOT a single force, but rather is the NET force on the object in question.

The three formulas you've listed end up spitting out the exact same value as Fc, although in a very convoluted way.

Oh wow, you're right - what I did in the first 30 seconds answered the problem, but I didn't know I actually had the answer. I had to call someone in class with me who was given that formula system by a physics tutor.

That's... definitely something. :shy:

hallo exi may you explain the set of fomulas listed below the senteces in red...@all...i have a problem in calculatiion of forces in a free body diagram...any body who can help?

We have to start from a FBD.

Try to find the forces which act on the car.

1. What is circular motion with friction and banking?

Circular motion with friction and banking is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path while also experiencing friction and being on a banked surface. This type of motion is commonly seen in situations such as cars going around a curved road or a roller coaster on a banked track.

2. What causes an object to experience friction in circular motion?

Friction in circular motion is caused by the contact between the object and the surface it is moving on. This contact creates a force that opposes the motion of the object and causes it to slow down or change direction.

3. How does banking affect circular motion with friction?

Banking, or tilting the surface the object is moving on, can help reduce the amount of friction experienced by the object. This is because the normal force between the object and the surface is increased, providing a greater force to counteract the friction force.

4. What is the role of resultant forces in circular motion with friction and banking?

Resultant forces play a crucial role in circular motion with friction and banking. They are the net forces acting on the object and are responsible for causing changes in the object's speed and direction. In order for an object to maintain circular motion, the resultant force must be directed towards the center of the circular path.

5. How can we calculate the resultant force in circular motion with friction and banking?

The resultant force in circular motion with friction and banking can be calculated by using Newton's laws of motion. The sum of all forces acting on the object, including the friction force and the normal force, must equal the centripetal force required to maintain circular motion. This can be found by using the equation Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.