Product of r consecutive numbers divisible by r

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the product of r consecutive numbers is divisible by r!, with one person providing a combinatorial proof and another questioning its validity. The expert summarizer highlights the main points and clarifies the flaws in the proof, suggesting a different approach to the problem.
roger
1*2*3...r is congruent to 0modr!

2*3*4...(r+1) is congruent to 0modr!

3*4*5...(r+1)(r+2) is congruent to 0modr! because the last 2 factors must contain 2.

So if I carry on in this fashion is this sufficient to prove that the product of r consecutive numbers is divisible by r!?

It seems like circular argument to me and so I'm not sure if it's justified.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's a slick combinatorial proof. How many subsets of size r does a set with r+k elements have?

roger said:
3*4*5...(r+1)(r+2) is congruent to 0modr! because the last 2 factors must contain 2.

Ummm... Why must the last 2 factors contain 2? If you mean the last two factors are divisible by 2, you do realize that not both of r+1, and r+2 can be divisible by 2 right?

roger said:
So if I carry on in this fashion is this sufficient to prove that the product of r consecutive numbers is divisible by r!?

What exactly is this fashion? What happens when your set of r consecutive integers no longer contains r?

roger said:

When you've finished verifying all of the infinitely many cases you will have proved the result. It could be a while before we hear from you again, though.

could someone clarify what's wrong with it?

1. You should have said 'one of the last two factors r+1 and r+2 is divisible by 2'

2. It is not clear that your idea actually works for 4*5*...*r+3, or any other example - you will need to make more of an argument when you start wishing to distribute lots of prime factors, and explain why there are enough powers of 2, say, later on.

3. Even if it did, you are attempting to check infinitely many things in turn. That is not a proof - you will never be able to verify all of the cases by hand as you assert you wish to.

roger said:
1*2*3...r is congruent to 0modr!

2*3*4...(r+1) is congruent to 0modr!

It seems like circular argument to me and so I'm not sure if it's justified.

Personally, I would start off in a slightly different direction: Let's say you have your set of r consecutive numbers, [itex]a_1[/itex] to [itex]a_r[/itex]. Have a look at the first one, [itex]a_1[/itex].
1st case: Let's say [itex]a_1[/itex] is divisible by r. Then you're done.
2nd case: Let's say [itex]a_1[/itex] is not divisible by r. Then integer division will leave you with a rest between 1 and r-1, true? Now, what implication does this have?

If the first of the r numbers is n, and n[itex]\equiv[/itex]m(mod(x)) where 0[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]r, then n+(x-m) is a multiple of x. Because x-m[itex]\leq[/itex]r at least one of the r numbers will be a multiple of x. r! is the product of all such x.

1. What does it mean for a product of r consecutive numbers to be divisible by r?

For a product of r consecutive numbers to be divisible by r, it means that when the product is divided by r, the result is a whole number with no remainder. In other words, r is a factor of the product.

2. How can I determine if a given set of r consecutive numbers will result in a product that is divisible by r?

To determine if a given set of r consecutive numbers will result in a product that is divisible by r, you can use the formula (n)(n+1)(n+2)...(n+r-1) where n is the first number in the set. If the product is divisible by r, then the set of numbers will result in a product that is divisible by r.

3. Are there any specific patterns or properties of numbers that can help identify products of r consecutive numbers divisible by r?

Yes, there are some patterns and properties that can help identify products of r consecutive numbers divisible by r. For example, if r is a prime number, then the product of any r consecutive numbers will always be divisible by r. Additionally, if r is a multiple of 4, then the product of any r consecutive even numbers will be divisible by r.

4. Can a product of r consecutive numbers be divisible by r if r is not a factor of any of the numbers in the set?

No, if r is not a factor of any of the numbers in the set, then the product of r consecutive numbers will not be divisible by r. However, there may be other factors of the product depending on the specific numbers in the set.

5. How can the concept of products of r consecutive numbers divisible by r be applied in real life?

The concept of products of r consecutive numbers divisible by r can be applied in various fields such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science. It can also be used in problem-solving and pattern recognition activities, and in determining the probability of certain outcomes in games of chance or in statistical analysis.