Triangle Inequality: Solve |(a+b)-13| < 1

In summary, the triangle inequality states that |a+b| is less than or equal to |a|+|b|. Applying this to (a-5) and (b-8) and using the given information, we can simplify the expression to |a+b-13| < 1. This shows that if |a-5| < 1/2 and |b-8| < 1/2, then |(a+b)-13| < 1.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Show that if |a-5| < 1/2 and |b-8| < 1/2 then |(a+b)-13| < 1. Hint: use the triangle inequality.

Homework Equations

Triangle Inequality:

|a+b| <= |a|+|b|

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to use the triangle inequality so I was hoping someone could clear up for me exactly how it is used my book doesn't really make it clear it just states what it is which is what I have stated above. I understand why it is true, I just do not understand how you would use it in a problem. I plugged the first parts into it to get |(a-5)+(b-8)| <= |a-5| + |b-8| I'm not really sure how to simplify this though it should simplify to |a+b-13| but I can't get that everything is just canceling out for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the triangle inequality to (a-5) and (b-8). Then |(a-5)+(b-8)|=|a+b-13|[itex]\leq[/itex]|a-5|+|b-8|<1/2+1/2=1

The first inequality is the triangle inequality, and the second is from the original information.

Last edited:
You're almost there: expand out the brackets on the left hand, and add a further inequality to the right, using the information that you've been given, but which you've not yet used.

k so I ended up getting |a+b-13|<= |a+5 + |b-8| < 1 thanks a lot guys.

1. What is the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. In mathematical notation, this can be written as a + b > c, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the sides of the triangle.

2. How do you solve inequalities involving the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

To solve inequalities involving the Triangle Inequality Theorem, you must first understand that the triangle must actually exist. This means that the sum of the two sides must be greater than the third side. Next, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable and determine the range of values that satisfy the inequality.

3. What does |(a+b)-13| < 1 mean in the context of the Triangle Inequality Theorem?

This inequality represents the range of values for a and b that would satisfy the Triangle Inequality Theorem, where the sum of a and b must be greater than 13, but less than 14. In other words, the triangle formed by sides a, b, and 13 must be a valid triangle.

4. How can the Triangle Inequality Theorem be applied in real-life situations?

The Triangle Inequality Theorem has many applications in real-life situations, particularly in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, the theorem can be used to determine the maximum possible length of a ladder that can be used to reach a certain height on a building.

5. What happens if the Triangle Inequality Theorem is not satisfied?

If the Triangle Inequality Theorem is not satisfied, then a triangle cannot be formed with the given side lengths. In other words, the three sides are not able to connect and form a closed shape. This is an important concept to understand when working with triangles and their properties.