Calculating Geometric Mean Annual Increase: Cable TV Subscribers 1990-2000

In summary, the conversation discusses the geometric mean annual increase for cable TV subscribers between 1990 and 2000. The correct answer cannot be determined as neither the percentage annual increase nor the geometric mean of the number of subscribers can be used to calculate the mean annual increase. The correct answer is 4.569 million.
PARAJON
I have a question that I would like your assistance to see if I have the correct info:

In 1990 there were 9.19 million cable TV subscribers. By 2000 the number of subscribers increased to 54.87 million. What is the geometric mean annual increase for the period ?

Answer:

(9.19*54.87)^(1/2) = 22.46 million

I would appreciate your help in this matter to come up with the correct answer.

I also have another possible answer of 19.56%

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of those answers has any hope of being correct.

In the first case, "(9.19*54.87)^(1/2) = 22.46 million" you are averaging the number of viewers, not the annual increase in the number of viewers.
In the second case, you have a percentage and the problem asks for "annual increase" not percentage annual increase.

IF the problem had asked for "arithmetic" mean (or just "mean") it would be easy: the total increase from 1990 to 2000 is 54.87- 9.19= 45.68 million which would be a mean annual increase for those 10 years of 45.68/10= 4.569 million.

Letting a1, a2, ... , an, be the actual annual increase, you want a number a such that a1*a2*...*a10= a10 AND a1+ ...+ a10= 45.68. Since sums and products don't combine nicely, I don't see any way of getting that.

the 19.56% answer is the annual increase.

9.19 * x^10 = 54.87
x = (54.87/9.19)^(1/10)

which is 1.195644 ~ 19.56%.

22.46 is the geometric mean of 9.19 and 54.87 but i don't see how that is important here.

Take the ratio (R) of no. of 2000 over no. in 1990. The answer you want is R1/10. I'll let you do the arithmetic.

"the 19.56% answer is the annual increase."

No, it's the annual percentage increase. The (arithmetic) mean annual increase is 4.569 million as I said. There's a big difference.

"Take the ratio (R) of no. of 2000 over no. in 1990. The answer you want is R1/10. I'll let you do the arithmetic."
That is 1.1956= "1+r" where r is the annual percentage increase. I don't see how that could be called the "geometric mean annual increase".

HallsofIvy said:
No, it's the annual percentage increase.

you are right, of course :)

1. What is the definition of geometric mean?

The geometric mean is a type of average that is calculated by taking the nth root of the product of n numbers. It is often used to find the central tendency of a set of numbers that have a large range of values.

2. How is geometric mean different from arithmetic mean?

The arithmetic mean is calculated by adding all the numbers in a set and dividing by the total number of values. The geometric mean, on the other hand, involves multiplying the numbers and taking the nth root, making it more suitable for data sets with large variations.

3. In what situations is geometric mean used?

Geometric mean is commonly used in financial calculations, such as calculating the average return on investment over multiple periods. It is also used in science and engineering to find the average of ratios or rates.

4. How do you calculate geometric mean?

To calculate geometric mean, multiply all the numbers in the set together and then take the nth root, where n is the total number of values. For example, to find the geometric mean of 2, 4, and 8, you would first multiply them (2 x 4 x 8 = 64) and then take the cube root (64^(1/3) = 4).

5. What are the limitations of geometric mean?

Geometric mean is not suitable for sets with negative values or zero values, as taking the nth root of a negative number is not possible. It also gives less weight to larger values, so it may not accurately represent the overall trend of the data. Additionally, it cannot be used with data sets that have missing values.