When do grad schools beginning to accept you?

In summary, you have to wait a year between graduating and then applying for grad school. When you apply for Spring admission, you have to provide a final transcript from the previous Fall semester. The schools and departments you applied to can actually accept you for the Spring, but they won't review your application until you actually receive your degree.
fizziks
So, I've been applying to several grad schools for Spring 2008. I'm graduating this semester Mid-December.

ALL of the graduate schools I applied wants my final transcript before they can even begin reviewing my application. Is this how the graduate admissions work? How can I choose which graduate school I want to go to if my final grades won't come until Late December and when the Spring 2008 semester starts in Early January.

I remember back in high school, you always know which university has accepted you by spring of your senior year. Are graduate schools different? It seems you have to wait a year in between graduating and then applying for grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I applied to graduate school that was starting in January, I received responses around October. I hope you at least looked to see if the schools you applied to accept students for January. Many only accept for the fall.

Good luck!

Mororvia said:
When I applied to graduate school that was starting in January, I received responses around October. I hope you at least looked to see if the schools you applied to accept students for January. Many only accept for the fall.

Good luck!

The schools and departments I applied can accept for the Spring. Otherwise, I wouldn't (and couldn't) apply for those schools for the Spring 2008 semester =P.

I did over 6 months of researching for these schools. The problem I have is why are they allowing me less than 2 weeks to choose a graduate school?

fizziks said:
So, I've been applying to several grad schools for Spring 2008. I'm graduating this semester Mid-December.

ALL of the graduate schools I applied wants my final transcript before they can even begin reviewing my application.

That puzzles me. For fall semester admission, they process applications and accept students long before the end of the preceding spring semester. There's no way they can get a final transcript in time for that.

have you spoken to the graduate student advisor at some of the departments you're applying to? They may be able to take your non-final transcript with your application. Then arrange with the transcripts office at your school to send out the final transcript as soon as they're available.

Perhaps they mean they can reverse the decision once they get your final transcript. Until then it is not "final".

I don't get it. So, I called one of the schools I'm applying to and they won't begin my application review until I actually get my degree. I won't be able to get my degree and proof of it until the week of December 18th. The school I called, starts their Spring 2008 classes on Jan. 7th. That's going to leave me about a week to choose which school I want to attend, and that's if they go through the application review in less than 2 weeks.

It's kind of silly to send out acceptance letters with less than 2 weeks to choose a graduate school and move there.EDIT: I just called 2 other schools I'm applying too, they gave me the same answers.

I still think they mean the decision is not 100% final until you do receive your degree. I think they'll accept you and say something along, if you fail to graduate or your gpa drops blah blah they'll have to right to overturn this decision.

1. When do grad schools typically start accepting applications?

Grad schools typically start accepting applications in the fall, usually around September or October. However, some programs may have earlier or later application deadlines, so it is important to check with the specific schools you are interested in.

2. How long does it take for grad schools to review and accept applications?

The review process for grad school applications can vary greatly depending on the program and the number of applications they receive. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months for schools to review and make decisions on applications. It is best to check with the specific schools for their estimated timeline.

3. Is there a specific time or date when grad schools will let me know if I have been accepted?

Each school may have a different timeline for notifying applicants of their acceptance. Some schools may have specific decision dates, while others may notify students on a rolling basis. It is important to check with the schools for their specific notification process.

4. Can I apply to grad schools before I have completed my undergraduate degree?

Yes, you can apply to grad schools before completing your undergraduate degree. However, most schools will require you to have completed your degree before starting the graduate program. Some schools may allow you to apply during your final year of undergraduate study.

5. Will I hear back from all the grad schools I apply to?

It is not guaranteed that you will hear back from every grad school you apply to. Some schools may send you a notification of rejection, while others may not respond at all. It is important to have a well-rounded list of schools to increase your chances of acceptance.