Electric and magnetic fields question

In summary, the main difference between magnetic field and electric field is that a magnetic field is produced by moving electric charges, while an electric field is produced by stationary electric charges. Additionally, a magnetic field is a vector quantity, while an electric field is a scalar quantity. Magnetic fields also have different effects on charged particles compared to electric fields, as they can cause a force on moving particles, while electric fields can only affect stationary particles.
Oblio
A charged particle of mass m and positive charge q moves in uniform electric and magnetic fields, E and B, both pointing in the z direction. The net force on the particle is F=q(E+v x B)*. Write down the equation of motion for the particle and resolve it into its 3 components. Solve the equations and describe the particles motion.

Since there are both electric and magnetic fields, should I consider the motion with respect to each individually?
Considering the Electric field, the trajectory is a straight line along z, since its parallel to E, and a parabola along x,y? Yes?

The Magnetic field will have a force perpendicular to both v and B right?

Now, how does one put the two together?

*Is v (cross) B, x is cross product not a variable.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need help on this physics question:

An electron is shot at 10^6 ms-1 between two parallel charged plates. if (e) = 1 KN/C where will the electron strike the upper plate? Assume vacuum conditions.

Rather than conceptually deducing the particle's motion, it'd probably be better to write down what F_x, F_y, and F_z are (the three components of F) with respect to E_x, E_y, E_z, B_x, B_y, B_z, v_x, v_y, and v_z. At this point a lot should cancel since only E_z and B_z are nonzero.

Oblio said:
A charged particle of mass m and positive charge q moves in uniform electric and magnetic fields, E and B, both pointing in the z direction. The net force on the particle is F=q(E+v x B)*. Write down the equation of motion for the particle and resolve it into its 3 components. Solve the equations and describe the particles motion.

Since there are both electric and magnetic fields, should I consider the motion with respect to each individually?
Considering the Electric field, the trajectory is a straight line along z, since its parallel to E, and a parabola along x,y? Yes?

The Magnetic field will have a force perpendicular to both v and B right?

Now, how does one put the two together?

*Is v (cross) B, x is cross product not a variable.

Use the force, Luke. Ignoring relativistic effects,

[tex]m \mathbf{\ddot{x}} = \mathbf{F} = q\left(\mathbf{E} + \mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B} \right)[/tex]

Resolving the components, [tex]\mathbf{x} = (x,y,z)[/tex], and using the fact that only the z-components of E and B exist:

[tex]\begin{align*}
m \ddot{x} &= q \left( v_y B_z \right) \\
m \ddot{y} &= q \left( -v_x B_z \right) \\
m \ddot{z} &= q E_z
\end{align*}[/tex]

You should now be able to solve for z, at least. Combine the equations for x and y to get a 3nd order equation for x, or 2nd order equation for [tex]\dot{x}[/tex].

Last edited:
genneth said:
Use the force, Luke.

lol :)

genneth said:
Use the force, Luke. Ignoring relativistic effects,

[tex]m \mathbf{\ddot{x}} = \mathbf{F} = q\left(\mathbf{E} + \mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B} \right)[/tex]

Resolving the components, [tex]\mathbf{x} = (x,y,z)[/tex], and using the fact that only the z-components of E and B exist:

[tex]\begin{align*}
m \ddot{x} &= q \left( v_y B_z \right) \\
m \ddot{y} &= q \left( -v_x B_z \right) \\
m \ddot{z} &= q E_z
\end{align*}[/tex]

You should now be able to solve for z, at least. Combine the equations for x and y to get a 3nd order equation for x, or 2nd order equation for [tex]\dot{x}[/tex].

Can't you just integrate for each seperately? I don't know you would put x and y together.
After you have each, what is 'solving' them, as asked in the question?

Just posting to bring this back up on the forum. Still not sure why I'd combine x and y

is my v(z) still constant with the electric field present?

The idea is certainly to just integrate them. However, quite often that's not directly possible. For this case, you can do so for z, as it does not involve any other function of t. To be very explicit, what we're really doing is trying to find three function x(t), y(t) and z(t). So we begin with z(t):

[tex]\begin{align*}
m \frac{d^2 z(t)}{dt^2} &= q E_z \\
v_z(t) = \frac{d z(t)}{dt} &= \frac{q E_z}{m} t + v_z(0) \\
z(t) &= \frac{q E_z}{2 m} t^2 + v_z(0) t + z(0)
\end{align*}[/tex]

So [tex]v_z[/tex] is actually a linear function of t.

Now we could try the same with x(t). However, you notice that when trying to integrate, you've got [tex]v_y = \dot{y}[/tex] on the right hand side, which is a function of t. So you can't do the integral unless you've already got [tex]v_y[/tex]. Thus you get around this by differentiating the first equation wrt t, so that you've got [tex]\frac{d^3 x}{dt^2}[/tex] on the left and [tex]\ddot{y}[/tex] on the right. Then you can substitute the 2nd equation in, and treat it as a 2nd order differential equation in [tex]\dot{x}[/tex].

Physics Question about an electron

I need help on this physics question:

An electron is shot at 10^6 ms-1 between two parallel charged plates. if (e) = 1 KN/C where will the electron strike the upper plate? Assume vacuum conditions.

Aslam O Alaikum.

I am a new member here an dthis is my first post.
I want to know that What is difference between Magnetic field and Electric field?
Because If we read their general definations use in general physics Defination of both is same??
So what's their main difference ?

Thanks

M.Ahsen tahir

ahsen_tahirpk@hotmail.com

What are electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are invisible forces that surround all objects that have an electric charge. Electric fields are created by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges.

How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are often considered together as the electromagnetic field. Changes in one field can cause changes in the other, and they both play important roles in many natural phenomena, including the generation of light and the functioning of electronic devices.

What are the health effects of exposure to electric and magnetic fields?

There is ongoing research on the potential health effects of exposure to electric and magnetic fields. Some studies suggest a possible link between long-term exposure to high levels of these fields and an increased risk of certain types of cancer. However, the evidence is not conclusive, and the general consensus is that exposure to low levels of these fields is unlikely to cause any adverse health effects.

How can I protect myself from electric and magnetic fields?

To reduce exposure to electric and magnetic fields, you can take certain precautions such as keeping a safe distance from high-voltage power lines and using devices that emit these fields, such as cell phones, at a safe distance from your body. However, it is important to note that the overall levels of exposure to these fields from everyday sources are typically very low and unlikely to cause harm.

What are some common sources of electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields can be found in many natural and man-made sources. Natural sources include the Earth's magnetic field, lightning, and the sun. Man-made sources include power lines, household appliances, and electronic devices such as cell phones and computers. The strength of these fields varies depending on the source and the distance from it.