Solving Velocity Vectors on a Graph

• Thread starter roadrunner
  • Start date
In summary, the equations for a particle's average velocity are given by: average velocity = total distance by total time, and approximated by r(x,t)=(t2-t1)i+(x2-x1)j.
roadrunner

Homework Statement

im given a graph. the graph itself isn't so important though

it is a curve, with 3 point vectors going from the origin to 3 points on the path of motoion of the particle.

they are at t=2.6, 2, 2.4

a and b) I am asked to draw the average velocity vectors of the particle over t=2 and t=2.4
and also over t=1.5 and t=2

c) write an expression for the velocity vecotr v(2)

d) draw an approximation to the vector v(2) and estimate the speed of the particle and v(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a and b
is it just...draw a line form the point t=2.4 and t=2
and for b from t=1.5 to t=2

and that's the average velocity vector?

c) do i use the formula
Code:
lim     r(2+h)-r(2)
h-->0       h

d) NO CLUE!?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think for D i guess based on looking at the slope?
so in my case it looks like a slope of -1
so the speed would be -1? (or 1)

The average velocity is total distance by total time, so a and b are correct. For c, the equation of a line is given by Z=mX+c where m is the slope. In this case, m will be dx/dt or your average velocity.

Therefore, x=vt+c (here Z=x and X=t) and you can find the value of c by plugging in the position and time of anyone point that you are given. If you need the equation in vector form, its even easier, r(x,t)=(t2-t1)i+(x2-x1)j, here I am assuming that time is graphed on the x-axis and the distance on the y axis.

Now, the equation of the line in vector or cartesian form (z=mx+c is the cartesian form) when graphed gives you the approximation of the vector you desire. The speed of the particle is the magnitude of the velocity, aka, velocity without direction. You should be able to use the graph to figure it out...

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of an object's change in position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity takes into account the direction of motion, whereas speed only looks at the magnitude. For example, a car driving at 60 miles per hour can have different velocities if it is travelling east or west.

How do you calculate velocity from a graph?

Velocity can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on a position-time graph. The slope represents the change in position (y-axis) over the change in time (x-axis).

What does a positive velocity on a graph indicate?

A positive velocity on a graph indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction of the axis. For example, a positive velocity on a position-time graph means the object is moving in the positive direction on the position axis.

How does acceleration affect velocity on a graph?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, the slope of the velocity-time graph will be non-zero, indicating a change in velocity over time.