Solving Math Induction Homework: Proving LHS=RHS

In summary, mathematical induction is a method used to prove statements for all natural numbers and is important in solving complex problems. The process for solving a math induction homework problem involves three steps: the base case, inductive hypothesis, and inductive step. When using math induction, it is crucial to carefully examine the given statement and determine the correct formula or equation to use in the proof. However, math induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers and not for specific sets of numbers or non-numeric statements. Common mistakes to avoid include assuming the statement is true without proper proof, using incorrect formulas or equations, and forgetting to include the base case. It is also important to thoroughly check that the given statement is true
solidus_E

Homework Statement

trying to prove left-hand side = right-hand side

this is where I'm stuck:

[tex]
1 - [1 / (x+1)!] + [(x+1) / (x+2)!] = 1 - [1 / (x+2)!]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried this but can't get anywhere

get a common demoninator:
1 - [(x+2)! + (x+1)*(x+1)! / (x+1)!*(x+2)!]

anyone seeing what I'm not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
get a common demoninator:
1 - [(x+2)! + (x+1)*(x+1)! / (x+1)!*(x+2)!]

That should be a minus.

Pull out the (x+1)! from the numerator of the second term and simplify.

A useful trick is to write (x+2)! as (x+2)(x+1)!

1. What is math induction and why is it important in solving homework problems?

Mathematical induction is a method used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It is important because it allows us to prove statements that are true for an infinite number of cases, which can be useful in solving complex problems.

2. What is the process for solving a math induction homework problem?

The process for solving a math induction homework problem typically involves three steps: the base case, the inductive hypothesis, and the inductive step. The base case is when we prove the statement is true for the first natural number. The inductive hypothesis is when we assume the statement is true for a particular natural number. And the inductive step is when we use the inductive hypothesis to prove the statement is true for the next natural number.

3. How do I know if I am using the correct formula or equation in a math induction proof?

When solving a math induction homework problem, it is important to carefully examine the given statement and determine the pattern or relationship between the LHS (left-hand side) and the RHS (right-hand side). This relationship will guide you in choosing the correct formula or equation to use in your proof.

4. Can I use math induction to prove any statement?

No, math induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for a specific set of numbers or for non-numeric statements.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using math induction to solve homework problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using math induction include assuming the statement is true without properly proving it, using an incorrect formula or equation, and forgetting to include the base case in the proof. It is also important to carefully examine the given statement and make sure it is true for all natural numbers before attempting a proof.