Calculate Rocket Thrust Force of 90g Rocket Achieving 80m/s in 3.0s

In summary, a toy rocket with a mass of 90g achieves a velocity of 80m/s after 3.0s when fired straight up. The average thrust force exerted by the rocket engine can be calculated using the formula Fnet = (m*v)/t, where m is the mass, v is the velocity, and t is the time. By solving for Fnet, we get 2.4N. However, in order for the rocket to rise, the thrust force must be greater than the weight of the rocket, which is represented by the variable W in the equation Ft = W + ma. By solving for a and plugging in the values, we get an average acceleration of 26.667m
Sucks@Physics
A toy rocket, of mass 90g, acheives a velocity of 80m/s after 3.0s when fired straight up. What average thrust force does the rocket engine exert?

I dont' know what formula to use for this

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the average acceleration?

is this held in Earth where gravity exists? lol, i know its a dumb question, but sometimes during my life, i have done problems like these without the involvement of gravity.

Last edited:
avg acceleration = 26.667m/s and lol yea its on earth

no help?

Sucks@Physics said:
avg acceleration = 26.667m/s and lol yea its on earth

Acceleration is in m/s^2.

So what's Newton's second law?

what i did is...

Fnet = (m*v)/t

Fnet = (.09*80)/3 = 2.4N

What did i do wrong?

Am i not supposed to be solving for Fnet?

Can some1 help i ahve to have this finished by tomorrow and I'm doing it wrong

Does it give you a rate at which the mass of the rocket is changing?

I think I'm neglecting that.

ok, start out by drawing a free-body diagram. since the thrust is accelerating upwards.. thrust must me greater than weight. therefore Ft-W=Ma soo Ft=w+ma, right?

Solve for a, and then just plug and chug..

sweet thanks, i get it now

aq1q said:
ok, start out by drawing a free-body diagram. since the thrust is accelerating upwards.. thrust must me greater than weight. therefore Ft-W=Ma soo Ft=w+ma, right?

Solve for a, and then just plug and chug..

hey, i have the same question, but what does w stand for? since m = mass, Ft = force of thrust anf a = acceleration (right)? then what is w?

What force must the rocket thrust counteract in order for the rocket to rise?

1. How do you calculate the thrust force of a rocket?

The thrust force of a rocket can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the rocket by its acceleration, which is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation F = m * a.

2. What does 90g mean in relation to the rocket's thrust force?

The 90g in this context refers to the mass of the rocket, which is 90 grams. This is an important factor in calculating the rocket's thrust force, as the greater the mass, the greater the force required to achieve a certain velocity.

3. Why is it important to know the rocket's velocity and acceleration?

The velocity and acceleration of a rocket are important because they determine the rocket's thrust force. By knowing these values, we can calculate the required force to achieve a certain speed, and make adjustments to the rocket's design accordingly.

4. How does the rocket achieve a speed of 80m/s in 3.0s?

The rocket achieves a speed of 80m/s in 3.0s through a combination of thrust force, aerodynamic design, and gravity. The thrust force generated by the rocket's engine propels it forward, while its aerodynamic design minimizes air resistance. Gravity also plays a role, pulling the rocket towards the ground and accelerating it.

5. Can the rocket's thrust force be increased to achieve a faster speed?

Yes, the rocket's thrust force can be increased by either increasing the mass of the rocket or increasing its acceleration. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a more powerful engine or reducing the rocket's weight. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the rocket's design and the effects of increasing thrust force on its stability and safety.