Can Atomic Clocks Accurately Measure Time in Accelerating Bodies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of atomic clocks to measure time in an accelerating body and the role of the relativistic Doppler effect in this process. The speaker raises a question about how this effect can be used to measure the velocity and vector of an object, similar to the use of gyroscopes.
mrzero
First I'm not a native English speaker so sorry for grammar errors .

Ok let's start my hobby is to learn things and I tried to study relativity while I where reading some example of time dilation in atomic clocks. However I remembered something the speed of a electromagnetic wave is equal to C (speed of light in a vacuum). Since Atomic clock use EM radiation from a atom to measure time is such a clock and the clock starts accelerating the EMW impulse will travel slower or faster to the recover depending on the vector of EMW movement to the vector of acceleration. And using a EMW based clock( atomic clock) co measure any thing becomes pointless. I mean if the recover is "running away" from the EMW then the clock will tick slower and if its running to meat the EMW the clock tics faster.

My question is this how can any normal person knowing that the speed of light (and EMW) is constant use a atomic clock to measure time in a accelerating body (or am I miss understanding something if yes please correct me).

Physics news on Phys.org
mrzero said:
I mean if the recover is "running away" from the EMW then the clock will tick slower and if its running to meat the EMW the clock tics faster.

When we compare two clocks that are some distance apart and moving with respect to each other, by using radio or other signals, we take into account the relativistic Doppler effect.

Thank you for the info :D.

I have a similar question regarding this relativistic Doppler effect :

For my understanding you can use this relativistic Doppler effect to measure the velocity and vector of the object such EMV emitters are placed in (similar to gyroscopes and in all 8 or more directions ) am I right about this ?

1. What is an atomic clock?

An atomic clock is a highly accurate timekeeping device that uses the natural oscillations of atoms or molecules as a basis for its measurement. It is considered the most precise timekeeping method currently available.

2. How does an atomic clock work?

An atomic clock works by measuring the frequency of electromagnetic radiation emitted by atoms. This frequency is used to determine the duration of a second, which is the basis for all time measurements.

3. What is the connection between atomic clocks and relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, predicts that time will appear to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary object. This means that the rate at which an atomic clock measures time will be affected by its velocity and gravitational field, as predicted by the theory of relativity.

4. How accurate are atomic clocks?

Atomic clocks are extremely accurate, with an error of only about 1 second in 100 million years. This level of precision is necessary for applications such as global navigation systems, telecommunications, and space exploration.

5. What are the practical applications of atomic clocks and relativity?

Atomic clocks and the theory of relativity have many practical applications, including in the fields of GPS technology, communication systems, and satellite navigation. They also play a crucial role in testing and verifying the predictions of the theory of relativity.