Sound Intensity and Human threshold for hearing

In summary, a sound that is below the threshold of human hearing has a negative intensity level (in dB).
mssweeteypie
Is it possible to have a negative sound intensity level?
A sound that is below the threshold of human hearing has...

(A) a negative intensity level (in dB).
(B) a negative intensity (in W/m^2 ).
(C) an intensity level of zero.
(D)an intensity level less than 1 dB , but greater than 0.

I think I know the answer but I don't want to guess wrong and lose points.

Does it have to do with anything like I/Io or I=power/area ??

I think the answers is A or B..but I don't see the difference in between dB and W/m^2 i thought they are the same thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're confusing yourself. Look at the units in answers A and B and ask yourself how each could physically be negative.

I can confirm that it is not possible to have a negative sound intensity level. Sound intensity is measured in terms of decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic scale. The human threshold for hearing is around 0 dB, and any sound below this level would have a negative value on the decibel scale. However, this does not mean that the sound has a negative intensity level.

Intensity is a physical quantity that is measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2). It is a measure of the amount of energy that is transferred through a given area in a given time. The human threshold for hearing is around 10^-12 W/m^2. Any sound below this level would have a very low intensity, but it would still be a positive value.

Therefore, the correct answer is C - an intensity level of zero. This means that the sound is below the threshold of human hearing and therefore cannot be heard. It is important to note that the human threshold for hearing can vary from person to person and can also be affected by factors such as age and hearing impairment.

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy that is transmitted through sound waves. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is used to describe the loudness or amplitude of a sound.

2. How is sound intensity related to human hearing?

Sound intensity plays a crucial role in human hearing as it determines the loudness of a sound that can be perceived by the ear. The higher the intensity of a sound, the louder it will be perceived by the human ear.

3. What is the threshold for human hearing?

The threshold for human hearing is the minimum sound intensity level that a person with normal hearing can detect. It is generally considered to be around 0 dB, which is equivalent to the sound of a mosquito flying 3 meters away.

4. How does sound intensity affect our hearing?

If the sound intensity is too high, it can cause damage to the delicate structures in our ears, such as the hair cells in the inner ear. This can lead to hearing loss and other auditory problems. On the other hand, if the sound intensity is too low, it may not be strong enough to stimulate the hair cells and result in hearing impairment.

5. Can sound intensity be harmful to human hearing?

Yes, sound intensity can be harmful to human hearing if it exceeds a certain level. Prolonged exposure to sounds above 85 dB can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in our ears, leading to noise-induced hearing loss. It is important to protect our ears from loud sounds and limit our exposure to high sound intensities to maintain good hearing health.