Finding the Right Calculator for University - Dan's Story

In summary, the conversation is about a university student needing to buy a calculator for their classes. The university has provided a list of approved calculators, but the student is unsure which one to choose. Price is not a factor and they are looking for the most powerful option. Recommendations for the TI 36X Solar and the Sharp EL 506 are given, with the Casio FX-115 also being mentioned as a versatile option. The conversation also touches on the limitations of programmable calculators and the usefulness of complex number capabilities.
danago
Gold Member
Hey starting uni soon and i need to buy a calculator. The uni has given us a list of approved calculators, but i really don't know which one to go for. They have stated that they cannot be programmable or graphic calculators. Here is the list they have given us:

http://www.ecm.uwa.edu.au/__data/page/113210/Approved_Calculators.pdf

At the moment price isn't an issue, so i just want to get the most powerful calculator on the list. I've only ever used one calculator through high school so i really don't know which one to go for. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I used the TI 34 in every math competition I ever participated in. Apparently according to that list there's a 36 now. They are solid scientific calculators in my book. One of those calculators on that list might be able to do complex numbers though. The TI-34 cannot to my knowledge.

Yeah, out of that list, it looks like the TI 36X Solar is going to be your boy. I don't see any of these calculators doing complex number arithmetic for you. The 36X has some useful constants in it and looks the most robust out of that list of calculators.

That's crazy that they don't even let you have programmables. The kills any chance of you using an RPN calc. :p

Ive had a look at the sharp EL 506 and it does look quite good. I've narrowed my choice down to the casio fx100ms and the sharp, but can't really decide which to go for. Anyone else have a preference?

I have the Casio FX-115. You can do just about anything you want on it... even evaluate integrals, derivatives, matrices, stat functions, etc. Its just a matter of wanting to learn how to use all the different functions.

What factors should I consider when choosing a calculator for university?

When choosing a calculator for university, it's important to consider the functions and features you will need for your specific courses. Some key factors to consider include the calculator's capabilities for graphing, statistics, and programming, as well as its battery life, size, and durability.

Why is it important to have a calculator for university?

A calculator is an essential tool for many university courses, especially in the fields of math, science, and engineering. It allows for quicker and more accurate calculations, which can be crucial for exams and assignments.

Can I use any calculator for university?

It's important to check with your university and course syllabus to see if there are any specific calculator requirements. Some courses may only allow certain types of calculators, such as scientific or graphing calculators, while others may have restrictions on certain functions or models.

How much should I spend on a calculator for university?

The cost of a calculator for university can vary greatly depending on its functions and features. It's important to find a balance between meeting your course requirements and staying within your budget. Consider looking for a used or refurbished calculator to save money.

Can I use a calculator app on my phone for university?

While some universities may allow the use of calculator apps on phones, it's generally recommended to use a physical calculator. Phone apps may have limited functions or be prohibited in certain courses and exams. Additionally, using a phone during class can be distracting and may not be allowed by your professor.