Alkyl Halide Mechanism: E1 vs. E2 in Acidic and Basic Conditions

In summary: For base-catalyzed eliminations, the first step is the abstraction of a proton from the substrate. This leads to the formation of a carbocation.
predentalgirl1
This is my question...
For the alkyl halide tell which mechanism, E1 or E2, will predominate under both stongly basic (with large base) conditions and strongly acidic. Tell if each reaction is expected to proceed relatively quickly, moderately, or slow (based on sterics for E2 and carbocation stability for E1). Finally, name the primary alkene produced in each case.

a.) 2-chloro-3-s-butylhexane

b.) 1-chloro-3-s-butylhexane

c.) 3-chloro-3-s-butylhexane

My answer...only part of part (a)...

acidic prefers E1, moderate rate, major product 3-s-butly-2-hexene. basic prefers E2.

How do I solve for the rest?? Someone please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I put this in the wrong forum and I do not know how to move it. This is a homework question.

I found this discussion on the Web:

Comparison or E1 and E2:
E2 vs E1:
E2 is characterized by:
· second order kinetics
· anti periplanar conformation for elimination
· absence of rearrangement
· reactivity sequence: CH3 < 1° < 2° < 3°

E1 is characterized by:
· first order kinetics
· rearrangement
· reactivity sequence: CH3 < 1° < 2° < 3°

For a given substrate, which mechanism will be followed? Whichever of these two processes goes faster determines which mechanism predominates.

To answer this question:

1. Consider the substrate (alkyl halide). It can either undergo deprotonation by a base leading to 1,2-elimination, or heterolysis to form a carbocation followed by deprotonation.
Reactivity by E2 increases mostly due to increasing stability of the alkene formed with a
more highly substituted alkyl group. Reactivity by E1 increases because of greater stability of the carbocation being formed in the rate determining step. Thus reactivity by both mechanisms increases as CH3 < 1° < 2° < 3°.

2. Consider the base. The rate of E2 depends on both the concentration and strength of the base, whereas E1 does not. In E1, the base must wait for the carbocation to be formed, so neither the concentration nor strength of the base will matter much. For a given substrate, the more concentrated or stronger the base, the more E2 will be favored over E1. Under the conditions usually used to bring about dehrydrohalogenation, strong and concentrated base, E2 usually occurs. In general the E1 mechanism is encountered only with secondary or tertiary substrates, and in solutions where the base is either in low concentration or weak, typically where the base is solvent.
http://depts.washington.edu/chemcrs/bulkdisk/chem237A_aut01/info_Ch_6&7.pdf

For acid-catalyzed eliimnation, the first step is the protonation of the halogen followed by elimination of the hydrogen halide. A carbocation is the result. (kinda like E1 in that respect)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between E1 and E2 mechanisms in acidic and basic conditions?

The E1 and E2 mechanisms are two types of reactions that occur with alkyl halides in acidic and basic conditions. E1 reactions involve a unimolecular elimination, meaning that the rate-determining step only involves one molecule. In contrast, E2 reactions involve a bimolecular elimination, meaning that the rate-determining step involves two molecules.

How does the strength of the acid or base affect the E1 and E2 reactions?

The strength of the acid or base can affect the E1 and E2 reactions in different ways. In E1 reactions, a stronger acid can stabilize the carbocation intermediate, leading to a faster reaction rate. In E2 reactions, a stronger base can abstract the proton more easily and lead to a faster reaction rate.

What factors influence whether an E1 or E2 reaction will occur?

The major factors that influence whether an E1 or E2 reaction will occur include the strength of the acid or base, the structure of the alkyl halide (such as the number of substituents), and the stability of the intermediate formed during the reaction.

How can I determine the product of an E1 or E2 reaction?

The product of an E1 or E2 reaction can be determined by considering the structure of the starting alkyl halide and the conditions of the reaction. In general, E1 reactions tend to form more substituted alkenes, while E2 reactions tend to form less substituted alkenes.

Are there any other factors that can affect the E1 and E2 mechanisms?

Other factors that can affect the E1 and E2 mechanisms include steric hindrance, solvent effects, and temperature. Steric hindrance occurs when bulky substituents hinder the approach of the reacting molecules, leading to slower reaction rates. Solvent effects can influence the polarity of the reaction, while temperature can affect the energy of the molecules and the rate of the reaction.