The two dimensional regular polygons.

In summary, the conversation discusses the infinite possibilities of the two dimensional regular polygon series and the question of what would happen if it were finite, specifically in relation to the dimensions of length and breadth. It also explores the concept of continuous space and the limitations of a finite number of regular polygons in geometry.
Jackrell
The two dimensional regular polygon series, the triangle, square, square, pentagon etc. is infinite. If for some reason, it was finite, what would our universe become? especially the dimensions of length and breadth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first sentence is in the realm of mathematics. The question is in the realm of physics. I don't see any real connection.

I guess my question should be - Why are the dimensions of length and breadth continuous?"

Jackrell said:
Why are the dimensions of length and breadth continuous?"
You assume that space is physically continuous. This is not a given. There are quantum space-time theories as well as continuous space-time theories. Math can handle both.

Jackrell said:
I guess my question should be - Why are the dimensions of length and breadth continuous?"

It's because that's part of the principle and concepts of geometry.

That is exactly my point. if geometry were changed so that the number of regular polygons was finite, is there any way to know what the result would be?

Last edited:
It seems that you would have a limited form of geometry that cannot represent certain shapes. If you limit the number of regular polygons to only those with 3 and 4 sides then you cannot represent a pentagon and beyond. But what would be the point of that?

Jackrell said:
That is exactly my point. if geometry were changed so that the number of regular polygons was finite, is there any way to know what the result would be?

The result would be that you will have a limit on the number of sides that a polygon can have. And whatever results from that is also included in that result.

1. What is a two dimensional regular polygon?

A two dimensional regular polygon is a flat shape that has straight edges and all angles are equal. It is made up of straight lines that connect to form a closed shape with a fixed number of sides.

2. How many sides does a two dimensional regular polygon have?

The number of sides in a two dimensional regular polygon can vary, but it must have at least three sides. Some examples of two dimensional regular polygons are triangles (3 sides), squares (4 sides), pentagons (5 sides), and hexagons (6 sides).

3. What is the formula for finding the interior angles of a two dimensional regular polygon?

The formula for finding the interior angles of a two dimensional regular polygon is (n-2) * 180 degrees, where n is the number of sides in the polygon. For example, a hexagon has 6 sides, so the formula would be (6-2) * 180 = 720 degrees.

4. How do you find the perimeter of a two dimensional regular polygon?

To find the perimeter of a two dimensional regular polygon, you can simply add up the length of all the sides. If you know the length of one side (s), you can use the formula P = ns, where n is the number of sides in the polygon.

5. What are some real-life examples of two dimensional regular polygons?

Some real-life examples of two dimensional regular polygons include stop signs (octagons), pizza slices (triangles), and floor tiles (squares). Regular polygons are also commonly found in architecture, such as in the design of buildings and bridges.