Why Does a Charged Tape Attract to a Metal Sphere After Being Touched?

• Thread starter GT bear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, the negatively charged plastic pen repels magic tape, which is also repelled by a metal sphere. However, after touching the sphere with your rubber soled shoes and hand, the tape is attracted to the sphere. The correct statements are that electrons from the sphere moved into the salt water on your skin, where they reacted with sodium ions, the metal sphere became nearly neutral after being touched, sodium ions from the salt water on your hand moved onto the sphere, and the excess negative charge from the sphere spread out all over your body.
GT bear

Homework Statement

You observe that a negatively charged plastic pen repels a charged piece of magic tape. You then observe that the same piece of tape is repelled when brought near a metal sphere. You are wearing rubber soled shoes, and you touch the metal sphere with your hand. After you touch the metal sphere, you observe that the tape is attracted to the metal sphere. Which of the following statements could be true? Check all that apply.

Possible answers:

1. Electrons from the sphere moved into the salt water on your skin, where they reacted with sodium ions.

2. The excess negative charge from the sphere spread out all over your body.

3. Chloride ions from the salt water on your hand moved onto the sphere.

4. Sodium ions from the salt water on your hand moved onto the sphere.

5. Electrons from your hand moved onto the sphere.

6. Electrons from the sphere traveled through your body into the Earth.

7. After you touched it, the metal sphere was very nearly neutral.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 3 total attempts at this (it is an online homework system, and although the problem seems very easy and basic, I have missed it twice.) My first try I selected answers: 1,2,4,6, and 7. On my second attempt I selected: 2,6, and 7. I really though my first attempt was correct, and now I am lost. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I know (or at least I think I know), that there is no way that electrons/Cl- ions could transfer from your hand to the ball because of its negative charge. All the other answers seem logical, in that the charge is being dissipated into your body/skin, and that the metal sphere then becomes uncharged, I think I may be missing something though?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have only about 3 and a half hours until my assignment is due, so any help would be appreciated. I really do not know where my logic is wrong, the more and more I look at it, the more confused I become.

anyone have any ideas on this problem? I tried 1, 2, 6, and 7, but that also did not work.

This may be a few years too late but you are wearing tubber soled shoes so that would rule out #6 as rubber is acting as an insolator between you and the earth. Your first attempt was correct minus the 6.

i KNOW IT'S TOO late! but i will say the probable answers are 1 and 4 only. and about the 7th one i will say the sphere is nearly neutral not purely,and also the amount of charge on the magic tape is not so large that it will result into big electric polarisation of sphere and result in net attraction b/w them (even though little -ve charge is present on sphere.)
In the given options above i will vote 1 and 4 only and rest seems to me perfectly incorrect!

Even more late!

I just completed this homework assignment (and for GT as well, no less!), and here are, officially, the correct answers:

Electrons from the sphere moved into the salt water on your skin, where they reacted with sodium ions.

After you touched it, the metal sphere was very nearly neutral.

Sodium ions from the salt water on your hand moved onto the sphere.

The excess negative charge from the sphere spread out all over your body.

1. What is charging and discharging?

Charging and discharging refer to the process of transferring electrical energy to or from a battery. Charging is when energy is added to the battery, while discharging is when energy is drawn from the battery.

2. How does charging and discharging work?

When a battery is charged, a chemical reaction occurs that converts electrical energy into chemical energy, which is stored in the battery. When the battery is discharged, the chemical reaction is reversed, and the stored chemical energy is converted back into electrical energy.

3. How long does it take to charge a battery?

The time it takes to charge a battery depends on the size and type of battery, as well as the charging method being used. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to several hours to fully charge a battery.

4. Can you overcharge a battery?

Yes, it is possible to overcharge a battery. Overcharging can cause the battery to overheat and can result in damage or reduced battery life. It is important to follow the recommended charging time and method for your specific battery.

5. What is the difference between a rechargeable and non-rechargeable battery?

A rechargeable battery can be charged and discharged multiple times, while a non-rechargeable battery can only be used until it is fully discharged and then must be replaced. Rechargeable batteries are more cost-effective and environmentally friendly in the long run, but they typically have a shorter lifespan than non-rechargeable batteries.